Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawning sequence

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Darrell Ullisch

Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawning sequence

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:19 pm

A couple of years ago, I got 6 of these that were very small, not more than a few months old. Last year I finally figured out that I had 4 males and 2 females (very shy in a single species tank, they hid anytime I was around). I sold 3 males and a female, and kept the best looking pair, which was moved to a 125 with some Heros and a couple other odds n' ends. They became a bit less shy, but the male was rather ornery, and occasionally chased the female aggressively. However, sometimes he also defended her from some of the other fish, so I did not intervene.

I was disappointed that they hadn't spawned in the species tank, and really didn't expect anything now due to the other fish. However, a few weeks ago, I spotted the female picking up eggs to brood them! As soon as she had them all, the male chased her off, and she found a hiding spot near the surface, under the HOB output spouts. She stayed there for a few days, then after about 3-4 days she was out feeding with the other fish again. I assumed the fry/eggs were eaten.

Yesterday, I saw her breeding tube extended, and she was cleaning the same log they had spawned on last time. I grabbed my camera (wish I had video available) and took a few pictures of egg laying and the female brooding. The male chased her to a hiding spot again. Once she's there, he seems to be content, and has occasionally chased off the male nanoluteus who likes to torture her. I have been shutting down my fishroom, so I'm not prepared to deal with fry. But if she is still holding Monday morning, I will strip her, as they should be wigglers by then.

Anyway, here's a few shots.
female with tube visible
female with tube visible
male with tube visible
male with tube visible
pair laying eggs
pair laying eggs
female picking up eggs
female picking up eggs
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawning sequence

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Couple more shots.
Female with a mouthful, more to pick up!
Female with a mouthful, more to pick up!
Nice shot of the male
Nice shot of the male
female prespawning, showing bars
female prespawning, showing bars
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

deeda

Re: Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawning sequence

Post by deeda » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Congratulations on the recent spawn!!

Hopefully you'll get some nice fry and be able to share them.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

Return to “Other African Cichlids”