55Gallon Krib Community

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Shadow

55Gallon Krib Community

Post by Shadow » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:17 am

I have a nice 55gallon tank with 20 some plants but Im thinking of getting some more. I also currently have a 350 Penguin Bio-wheel but I plan on getting a glass top and then adding another filter, so that both halfs have a filter.

What type of filter is best. When ever I do the carbon filters, rinse them and then place them into the filter some of the carbon ends up in the tank. Is this normal?

What would be a good filter to get for my second one?

Now for the fish I have the temp at 78F. I have a nice piece of Bogwood in the tank as well as a rock cave I built, I plan to add some small ceramic pots. I have 1 dojo loach [yes I know I shouldn't], 3 Kuhli loaches, 5 otto cats [bought five and none ever died, I was surprised XD], 12 Pork/Lamb chop Rasboras, and what I hope is a pair of Kribs [not exactly sure, but looks like it.]

Would it be okay to add a few more Rasboras or other small top fish It still looks soo empty since the rasboras are on one side or another in a group and the rest is empty. What would be some other types and how many? I would like SMALLER Dither fish nothing over 2".

P.S. My family says my tank looks like a garden not a tank. And how I like the little fish with the plants X)

MatsP

Post by MatsP » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:55 am

Recommendations for filters is always a bit difficult. It depends on how you classify "better"... I have an external Eheim filter, which I'm very happy with, but at the price they are, you should expect to be happy with them ;-)

I don't use carbon filtration - at best it removes a little bit of staining in the water, at worst, it's just removing money from your wallet/bank-account. [Of course, there are situations when a carbon filter is really good: When you want to remove medication from the tank!]. I prefer more having more biological and mechanical filtration, rather than the chemical filtration that the carbon filter performs.

As to adding more dither fish: I'm a great believer in "Keep a few species in larger numbers". At least for shoaling fish, this is their natural behaviour, and having more of one species makes the fish more attractive, rather than having a few of one type and a few of another kind - it is very tempting to have "a few of everything", but it's generally better to stick to a few more of the same rather than having two smaller groups of different species... This is obviously a matter of personal preference and opinion.

A nice planted tank with lots of green is very nice, keep it going...

--
Mats

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:14 pm

We only use either Aquaclear filters or sponge filters - depending on the size of the tank. (Sponge filters for the smaller tanks) We don't use carbon either - I agree completely with what Mats said regarding it.

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:56 pm

Yeah I saw a Aquaclear at the store and was thinking about getting that.

So what would be a good dither fish that gets around 2". Or could I get mpre Pork Chops I heard my Kribs may eat them? Otherwise I was thinking Glowlite Teras

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:52 pm

What is a pork chop Rasbora? In my 40+ years of fish-keeping I have never heard of that. That's what is wrong with using common names.

Ken

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:01 am

Rasbora espes

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Post by Ken Boorman » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:55 am

Thank you for clearing that up. More of the Rasboras would be ok IMHO. Or for colour, you could try something like Melanotaenia praecox - the dwarf neon rainbowfish. They do best in small schools and while they do get a little bigger than 2" (up to about 3"), they look stunning when they attain their adult colouration.

Ken

Return to “Other African Cichlids”