Heterochromis multidens at home

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
ciclasoman

Heterochromis multidens at home

Post by ciclasoman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:50 am

I want to share a few pictures of these fish as they grow and hopefully spawn in the years to come, I'm optimistic. These fish just arrived thanks to Oliver Lucanus. The colony members range from about 1.5 inches to about 5. Sexual dimorphism is becoming noticeable, males have blue eyes and a nuchal bump while females have red eyes and irregular dark spots on the dorsal fin (consistent with the tilapia spot). They eat rather well, snails, fish food, non plants yet. I will try small fish to see if they have any interest.

Bas Pels

Re: Heterochromis multidens at home

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Nice, hope you have lots of luck with them

I once read, on a Dutch forum, these fish are quite agressive amongst themselves, even when small. So you might want to verify you haqve sufficient shelter in their tank

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Bas Pels wrote:Nice, hope you have lots of luck with them

I once read, on a Dutch forum, these fish are quite agressive amongst themselves, even when small. So you might want to verify you haqve sufficient shelter in their tank
Thank you for the feedback, so far they seem very gentle. I bet when breeding this get a little on edge. They seem quite sociable and peaceful, I can't compare them to Herichthys or Thorychtys, much less lamena but I'll keep an eye on them.

amiidae

Post by amiidae » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:46 am

Bas Pels wrote:
Fm my experience, they are pretty much like Hoplarchus psittacus aka green parrot and Frontosa.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:18 am

Two other species I never kept :lol:

blackghost

Post by blackghost » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi, I'm looking for this fish, in the UK. Does Oliver still do up-to-date stock lists (I can't find one) or would this be a case of catch-to-order? Any help in finding some of these beauties would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Wright

ciclasoman

Post by ciclasoman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:57 pm

I can't speak on behalf of Oliver but if you are really interested, I suggest you email him. Whenever I had placed an order for these fish, the costs for shipping and import fees really add up.
This is a more recent picture of my fish, their temperament is very calm despite almost reaching 10 inches.

Return to “Other African Cichlids”