No idea what this is?!

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
SouthCentral

No idea what this is?!

Post by SouthCentral » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi folks. This is my first time here. I've been showing pictures of this beast elsewhere, and some african fans said that people here may know what it is. I had him a few years ago before I really got into cichlids. He was sold to me as an "African Mouth Brooder" back before I knew that there are hundreds of cichlid species that are mouthbrooders. Anyway, he was huge and beautiful, and I eventually gave him away since I didn't have the tank to keep him at the time. Now I have numerous large tanks and want one badly, and can't figure out for the life of me what he was. Anyway, here he is. Please help if you know anything about it, or know someone who may know! Many thanks in advance!

Oh, for scale, those PVC caves are 4" diameter PVC elbows, he had to be over 10"

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:42 am

Tilapia for the genus.

maybe T. louka ?

http://burnel.club.fr/Photos/Tilapia_louka.html

Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:54 am

Doesn't look like my Louka which has a slightly concave and more pointed snout with long fin extensions and red edging to the fins. also the tail is very slightly emarginated. I don't think it is Louka but not sure what it may be as there are so many similar looking tilapia. If it is Louka it is definatley not a mouthbrooder.

Nebraska_cichlids

Post by Nebraska_cichlids » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Yes, looks like a Tilapia. Perhaps T. bemini? Did you look at the species profiles in this forum and/or Lamboj's book? You could also ask for help at apistogramma.com

Return to “Other African Cichlids”