Lamprologus lethops Article

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Lamprologus lethops Article

Post by Mark Smith » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:39 am

Great article by Lucanus on Lamprologus lethops. Definitely an historic first. Hopefully, a spawning will be the next accomplishment.

A couple of corrections should be noted in his article, "Notes on the husbandry of the Blind Cichlid Lamprologus lethops from the Congo River" in the January 2013 issue of Cichlid News Magazine. On page 7, he states: "Lamprologus lethops was described by Roberts and Stewart in 1976, from three specimens, the largest of which is a 7 cm (2.8in) long holotype in terrible condition. At the American Museum of Natural History, where the holotype is deposited..."

There are actually only two species from which the formal description was made. The largest of the two specimens is the only paratype, at 87.9 mm standard length, or approx. 4 inches total length. The holotype is only 27 mm standard length, or approx. 1 1/2 inches total length. The holotype is in a standard preserved condition, while the paratype is of a dried up specimen, in a somewhat twisted and flattened appearance.

Also, both preseved specimens are actually housed at the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University (catalog numbers MCZ 50248 for the holotype and MCZ 50249 for the only paratype) and not the American Museum of Natural History.

Nebraska_cichlids

Re: Lamprologus lethops Article

Post by Nebraska_cichlids » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Mark,

I too was very excited to see the article. I had a chat with a friend this morning and both he and I are concerned that, if spawned, any fry would go for premium prices.

Janos

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Lamprologus lethops Article

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Janos

The only one who can answer that question would be Oliver himself. I would suspect the cost for F1 fry would be exhorbitant, and would likely go to Japan or someplace in Europe before coming to the US, simply because hobbyists in those parts of the world may be willing to pay whatever the price, moreso than what hobbyists in this country would be willing to pay. It is a stereotype, however, but with some truth in it.

Return to “Other African Cichlids”