Re: Haplochromis fished from the Nile

Post by Christophe de Medeiros » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:52 am

It could be H.wingati
xris :)

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:15 am

Could be helpful to get the locality as Nile is quite a long river.
The only Haplochromine sp recorded from Egypt (fishbase) is H wingati (now Thorachochromis ????????? wingati - fishbase - CRC)
I've seen haplochromine sp in Nile at Answan, they were very different from your fish : black fish with red tail. So I've assumed that my fishes could be wingati (but as I can't find any picture of this species this identification is quite questionable, specially because wingati seems to live in upper Nile).
So is there only one haplochromine species in Nile river, in Egypt ???

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:30 am

There are indications that several species of Haplochromis occur in the Lower Nile drainage, see the articles by Erwin Schraml in eggspots no. 4 and 5:

http://www.worldfish.de/eggspots.html

It is not clear if H. wingatii is among them, and this can probably only be clarified by new collections from the type locality.

Haplochromis wingatii was formerly thought to be widespread in the Nile, Chad and Niger Basins, but is only known with certainty from the holotype, which was collected at Gondokoro, Bahr el Jebel (near the present day Juba, South Sudan). Some specimens from Lake Albert have been included in this species, but their ID is questionable. The species is likely more widespread in the White Nile drainage and may well extent to Lower Nile. Another species recorded from the White Nile is H. loati, but the type locality is Lake Albert, and the ID of the nilotic form may thus be questioned as well.
Philippe Burnel wrote: (now Thorachochromis ????????? wingati - fishbase - CRC)
This is not a recent change. Indeed, wingatii is the type species of Thoracochromis. This genus name is usually associated with Congolese/Southwest African species, but these are actually misplaced, as the type species is doubtlessly more closely related to the Lake Victoria Haplochromines. Whether Thoracochromis is at all a valid genus (and if so, which species belong there) or a synonym of Haplochromis remains to be seen.

bullok

Post by bullok » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:37 pm

several monthes later in my tank
Attachments
5.jpg
Untitled26.jpg
Untitled15.jpg
Untitled4.jpg
Untitled37.jpg
CIMG04914.jpg

Return to “Other African Cichlids”