Lake Barombi Mbo Cichlids

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Mrs.Finsallaround

Lake Barombi Mbo Cichlids

Post by Mrs.Finsallaround » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:41 pm

Well, there's not much on these cichlids ANYWHERE on the net. So, I just thought I'd start up a new topic on them and see who's/what's out there. I keep 5 species from this lake. I got them from an ex-UC Davis asst professor that moved to Texas and didn't want to move them or their 80 gallon tank. So, I now have:

80 gallon with breeding pair of Myaka, all Sarotherodons, and all Konia
60 gallon with 10 Pindu, 1 Mariae and two matured Myaka
10 gallon with Myaka juvies, one Pindu Juvie, 3 Aulonocara sp. juvies, and female Aulonacara sp.
10 gallon with 17 Aulonacara sp. Juvies and male Aulonacara stuartgranti "red shoulder"

Myaka myaka: I have one breeding pair, 2 newly matured males (4", 6"), 10+ juveniles (released 11/13/05), and the pair just released 36+ fry (1/14/06). Anyone interested? They (besides my breeding pair) are up for sale.

Konia Eisentrauti: I have 3 of these, and I can't decide if I have one male and two females that don't know what they're doing or 3 females. Two of them hold every month, but never more than a week. The two obvious females are at least 5" in length, and the other is a little smaller.

Sarotherodon Lohbergeri & Steinbachi:
I have a breeding pair of steinbachi , and 6 or 7 of the lohbergeri. The breeding pair have never had fry survive yet, and have only spawned once since I've had them.

Stomatepia Pindu: I have 15 of these (2 are juveniles). One of them looks more like a Stomatepia Mariae, but the professor swears he only had Pindu. She holds every 4-6 weeks. She's had two survive from a batch last July. We call her Rocket cause she's long and slender. Of the others, I have 3 males and 5 females. There are two pairs that seem to do their "dance" and the females look like they will explode if they don't lay some eggs, but none have ever held. I have all of them in the 60 gallon tank, so I'm sure they are too crowded to successfully spawn.

So, I have a ton of fish and love to watch and care for them. I'd love to hear about others who keep these rare species from Lake Barombi Mbo.

Happy Fishkeeping!

Robin
Sarotherodon lohbergeri (x6)
Sarotherodon steinbachi (x2)
Stomatepia pindu (x10)
Stomatepia mariae (x1)
Konia eisentrauti (x3)
Myaka myaka (x4 plus juvies & fry)
Aulonocara hansbaenchi (x1)
Aulonocara Sp. (x1 plus juvies)

tjudy
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by tjudy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:44 pm

Great collection. I am very interested in what you have for sale. You have a PM...

Mrs.Finsallaround

Post by Mrs.Finsallaround » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:58 pm

Male Myaka:

Female Myaka (holding):

These are my breeding pair 8)

I have 36+ fry that were released 1/14/06, and mommy is ready to lay eggs again. 8)
Sarotherodon lohbergeri (x6)
Sarotherodon steinbachi (x2)
Stomatepia pindu (x10)
Stomatepia mariae (x1)
Konia eisentrauti (x3)
Myaka myaka (x4 plus juvies & fry)
Aulonocara hansbaenchi (x1)
Aulonocara Sp. (x1 plus juvies)

Return to “Other African Cichlids”