Sexing Astatotilapia (Hap.)Burtoni

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Alleycat

Sexing Astatotilapia (Hap.)Burtoni

Post by Alleycat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:54 am

I picked up a couple bags of these guys ( and hopefully gals ) at a Chicago auction, and I know 100% for sure I have at least two males, but the other two could be sub. males or females. Other than the males dominent color that he's showing, is there anything that can distinguish a female? Does she also have egg spots on her anal fin?
Any help is appreciated.

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Sexing Astatotilapia (Hap.)Burtoni

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Adult females have egg spots, but these are always smaller and less numerous than in males of the same age, and they appear as simple yellow spots without a well defined clear or dark (depending on the background) ring surrounding them. In males, this condition is only found at the beginning of egg spot development, however, females usually show no egg spots at all at this stage. Additionally, females have an almost uniform greyish-olive ground color, whereas even subdued males show at least traces of the typical dominant coloration, i.e. a bluish or yellowish hue on the flanks and gill covers, orange markings above the pectoral fins and a well developed pattern of reddish spots in the dorsal and caudal fins.

Furthermore, if you have both sexes you will soon observe the first females with their mouths full of eggs.

Alleycat

Re: Sexing Astatotilapia (Hap.)Burtoni

Post by Alleycat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Rico Morgenstern wrote:Furthermore, if you have both sexes you will soon observe the first females with their mouths full of eggs.
In other words doesn't take much to spawn them :lol:

Thank you for your valued help, It appears I have 3M 1F.

Return to “Other African Cichlids”