H. Bimaculatus problems

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Roland of Gilead

H. Bimaculatus problems

Post by Roland of Gilead » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:15 pm

I have 4 Jewels in a 55gal tank with beautiful rock caves and some java fern. Filstar XP3 filter, well aerated with medium current.
My Jewels are in hiding all the time. They come out for feeding time but seem very nervous the rest of the time.
ph is 7.2 and water is well maintained( 15-20% water change every week ).
Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong?
Any help appreciated!!
We will do as Ka wishes

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:46 pm

Are there any other fish than the jewels in the tank?

k98

Post by k98 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:09 am

bimaculatus are not present in the hobby

Roland of Gilead

Post by Roland of Gilead » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:39 pm

No other fish in the tank with them. I don't want to overcrowd.
Can you suggest a relatively small fish that won't become a meal?
We will do as Ka wishes

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm

Throw 4-5 Rainbowfish, Congo Tetras (best, but expensive), or Giant Danios in there. They'll stay near the surface, and their activity will help convince the Jewels that there is no threat around. The cichlids will not bother them because they are bottom/territory oriented, and the dither fish are surface oriented - not to mention much faster. They will also force the Cichlids to come out and eat, as they are quite competitive for food.

Oh, and what k98 was so "tactfully" saying, H. bimaculatus is the incorrect name for the Jewels that we've had in the hobby all these years. The correct identification is probably H. guttatus, which is described by Lamboj as quite variable. Another name you will see is H. lifalili, but that may be another incorrectly identified population of guttatus. There are about 6-7 species of "Red" Jewels in the hobby (at least 2 undescribed), but so far as I am aware, the true H. bimaculatus is either extremely rare or not yet available.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Roland of Gilead

Post by Roland of Gilead » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:11 pm

I added 4 Giant Danios with no change in behavior except I think I may have a pair forming. They are guarding a cave for about 2 days now. The Danios are the only thing allowed close to it.
I'm not sure because I have never had anything breed before
We will do as Ka wishes

Return to “Other African Cichlids”