Ick

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Ick

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:21 pm

Dear Pam,

In one of my 55 gallon tanks, I have a number of fish itching themselves on anything that doesn't move. Every once in a while one of the fish will twitch uncontrollably for a few seconds while rubbing on a rock or in the gravel. Is this the sign of some parasites? If so, what can I do to get rid of these "unwelcome guests".

Kevin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:21 pm

Dear Kevin,

When I see this type of behavior in my tanks, it is usually "ick". This is the first sign of the problem. You can increase the temperature of your tank, and this is also a good reason to always add salt to you tanks. Both will deter the propagation of "ick". Normally it appears when there has been a fluctuation of temperature in the tank. Spring and Autumn time of the year is classic for "ick" to show up. The days are warm and the nights are colder. Make sure you have your heater plugged back in, if you have unplugged it for the summer.

Take a good look at your fish, and if you see the white specks on the body, you may want to treat it. Read the directions carefully and if you have catfish in the tank, read the special directions for fish with no scales.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com