Hydra

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Hydra

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:19 pm

Dear Pam,

What is the best way to eliminate hydra from an aquarium?

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:19 pm

Dear too afraid to leave your name!

I was fascinated with your question because I too have had a break out of hydra from time to time. What exactly is hydra?? Is it a plant or an animal? It has a tubular shaped body with many arms or tentacles coming from the mouth opening. They actually have a foot plate to help hold them in place, on the sides of your tank. It belongs to the fresh water polyps family; Hydroidea. There are several different species, of which all vary in size and color. It can be introduced into your tank by feeding fresh live foods such as daphnia and brine shrimp, and also from plants.

They are quite interesting to watch, they will follow light, so you can move them around with a flashlight. Their cute little arms can stun prey, and they are always on the search for food. Hydra has the amazing ability to regenerate any part of its body, so when an arm falls off they grow one back. Some are hetrosexual and others are hermaphroditic, but either way they seem to be able to reproduce quite quickly. They can be a hinderance in a tank with small fry say under 1/2", of course it depends on the size of the Hydra, some lake and ponds have species that are over 1". If they are not eating the fry then they are certainly eating the fry's food, which is another good reason for wanting to eliminate them.

Nearly everyone I asked about eradication said to use Gouramis or Paradise Fish. Well I don't now if I would stoop that low!!! *grin* Suggestion #2 is a better idea; salt. However, no one could agree on the exact amount to use. I would suggest starting with 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons, and if that didn't do it try it again, several suggested 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. Others suggest that they have a low tolerance to copper, and to put copper wire in the tank, and watch them die off, apparently it doesn't take to long. I think a thorough cleaning of your tank and the addition a salt should take care of the problem.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:20 pm

Dear Pam,

I was introduced to you by Ron Georgeone in Dearborn this last July. Reading through your Q & A area I saw the question on Hydra. Years back, Delores Schehr of "Wet Thumb" sold me "Fluke Tabs" and they have been a godsend for removing Hydra. I use &fracc12; tablet for each 38 liters (10 gallon) of water and the Hydra is gone easily overnight; probably much less. Just thought you might want to know.

Don Zilliox
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com