Trouble curing Hole in head

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Sunnidoodle

Trouble curing Hole in head

Post by Sunnidoodle » Sun May 07, 2006 11:05 am

I have a 4 1/2 year old Red oscar. He recently got hole in head, and I can't seem to cure it. He is a little over a foot long, and probably weighs close to 10 lbs. He was always a good eater, and now will only eat Krill, but he is eating. I have tried 3 different treatments, and i'm just not sure if he is too big for normal treatment doses. it seems like a couple of the wounds are healing, but others are getting worse or staying the same. We really love him, and wondered if anyone might have any other suggestions.

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Sun May 07, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi Sunni,

Unfortunately I am not aware of any cure for hole in the head. Sometimes you can slow it down, or keep it from getting worse. The best thing is to do major massive water changes. I am not sure how big your tank is? How much water you change or how often, but that is the only way I know of. Medications are expensive and if you aren't treating with the right one it can be detrimental to your cichlid.

So beef up on the water changes, each time 10% more until you get your changes up to 75 - 80% each time. Your fish will really appreciate it. Look at your set up and see if there is anyway you can eliminate debris/dirt in the tank. Slow down your feedings, a fish that large doesn't need that much food, and feeding prepared foods is much better than live gold fish that can have diseases. If he likes the krill then stick with that. Once a day is plenty. If you have gravel in your tank consider changing it to a light dusting of sand. Gravel is filthy, and your tank will be easier to keep clean.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com