"Hunger Strike." in discus

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

"Hunger Strike." in discus

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:17 pm

Dear Pam, I

have been a PCCA member for over 3 years now! I really enjoy the PCCA meetings every month!! Well, Pam, I have been keeping Discus for over 5 years and successfully spawned them many times. I have one question regarding Discus keeping. That is: How to recover Discus from "Hunger Strike?" I have been using so many different drugs for sick Discus and I can never recover them from "Hunger Strike." So please HELP!!

Toshi

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:17 pm

Dear Toshi,

I am so glad that you enjoy the meetings!! I wish that all PCCA members could attend them. The social aspect of the meetings is wonderful for all members, old and new to discuss questions and share ideas.

There isn't a Discus keeper alive that hasn't experienced the dreaded "Hunger Strike". It is so frustrating to have fish quit eating. Most agree that it is symptom of something definitely wrong. It could be stress, which to a discus could be caused any number of things. The obvious is poor water conditions, overcrowding, fluctuating pH, etc., but also the most ridiculous things can cause stress; the color of the background, a plant in the wrong place, feeding after 9:00 P.M. EST. * GRIN * Anyone who has kept Discus will tell you that even when everything is right you can get one that goes on "Hunger Strike." The other answer to the question is parasites, and there is a wide variety that can attack the digestive system. I had the same problem as you, everytime I would medicate they would still eventually die. I finally just gave up, saved my money and threw the fish out.

I think the key is recognizing the problem before it develops into "Hunger Strike". Medicating at the first sign of a poor appetite, any discoloration, folded fins or listlessness (Is that a word?? You know, when they are just hanging out in the corners and not swimming around) may give you a jump on the problem. However you have to know what the problem is since different medicines would be required. If you treat them with the wrong stuff, you can kill them too. I have admitted to being the worst fish doctor, and so I am not comfortable telling anyone how to treat their fish. I do recommend that you join the Discus Study Group. The care and breeding of discus has changed a lot in the last few years, and even more since I was a Discus keeper over 15 years ago. Belonging to a group specializing in a certain species is the way to stay in touch with all the latest happenings.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com