Bloat: Preventing Bloat

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Bloat: Preventing Bloat

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:12 pm

Dear Pam,

What have you found to be the best method for treating the dreadful bloat in Tropheus. I have read numerous articles that included the use of Clout or Metronidazole. What is the best method and would you please describe in detail the exact steps to take when treating. Thanks, very much,

Mark

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:13 pm

Hi Mark, The biggest key to avoiding the dreaded bloat, is what I call preventative maintenance. You can't change their water enough, poor water conditions cause unnecessary stress. Even if you have a ton of filtration, there is something about fresh water, that perks them up beyond belief. Second is diet, you can't slip them anything, it is veggies or bloat. Aggression, which also causes stress, can be a factor too, make sure you provide plenty of cover, so if a fish is getting chased, it can get away and not be singled out. I do believe that stress can bring on the bloat. Lower the temperature, keep it at 23°C - 24°C (74°F - 76°F), this can keep aggression down, and improves your water conditions too.

The only way that I have been able to cure bloat, is with Clout, but only if you catch it in the very earliest stages. If the Tropheus are not swimming around, if you see white feces, and/or the fins are folded, these are all the first symptoms of bloat. You will see these before you notice they aren't eating or they are swollen up.

I like to remove them to a smaller tank, it takes less medication. It is 1 tablet per 38 liters (10 gallons), I dissolve the tablet in a small glass, because if you just throw it in there, they never seem to dissolve completely. Treat for three consecutive days, then do a 50% water change, and treat again for three days. Some people like to double the recommended dose, if you are desperate, you have nothing to loose. If I don't see any improvement, after the 6 days of treatment, you can do another 50% water change and repeat the treatment for another three days. After that if they are not showing some signs of improvement, I usually euthanize. In my opinion they are too far gone at this point, and you are just making the fish suffer, and wasting the Clout.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com