Help my Fish

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

nikkicampbell76

Help my Fish

Post by nikkicampbell76 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi,I have a 55 gallon tank that I just started 4 months ago.I have 3 parrot fish and 2 yellow labs.Everyone was doing great until I got my lipstick Parrot fish which as you probably know is a parrot fish that has been injected with dye to be made colorful.Well I got him and about a week later I saw a lump on one of his stripes,I assumed that he may have been injected in that spot and that it was nothing.A week later it bursts and a worm/parasite thing hangs out.I go to Petsmart and expain what it looks like and the guy tells me my fish has a parasite and sells me Melafix that I used 5 tsp. a day for 7 days.Then it instructed me to do a 25% water change.In the meantime my little black parrot fish is now covered with white patches and one of my labs will not come out of the corner or eat and my lipstick fish still has this thing hanging from a hole in his side.And to top it all off my water is cloudy:(Please tell me whats wrong with my fish and what I should do.Thank you so much.

Nikki

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi Nikki,

Well you probably aren't going to want to hear what I have to say. First off parrots are hybrids, and they frowned upon in the hobby. You need to get rid of them and get some real cichlids. They are actually mutations, so they can have all sorts of problems, from not being able to eat right, to crushed organs, they are bad news, and only buying them encourages this outrage to continue. And buying fish that are injected with a color is really bad too?? Thats not natural?? The mortality rate of these fish is high because they are not healthy. Where your specimen came up with parasites is hard to say, could have been from the store, from the wholesalers, or even where they were raised.

Now you have introduced it to your established tank and infected the rest of your fish. First you'll have to decided what parasite it is, and then treat from there. Often these parasites have cycles, and so when you think they are gone, they come back, and you may have to treat more than once.

Cloudy water has to be changed, that can't be good for your fish, so definitely do a water change.

Figure out which cichlid you want to work with , and then build your tank around them, providing a natural set up, with fish that they would live with in the wild. It makes for a much better tank.

Parrotts are junk...
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com