greyish black spots around mouth

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

jimjim

greyish black spots around mouth

Post by jimjim » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:37 am

I have several smaller mixed african cichlids in 90 gallon tank. They usually seemed healthy and i have not had anything die in this tank, but a while ago i noticed one of the fish had a swollen lower lip/jaw section. I thought this fish was brooding, but it did not produce any fry. The swelling went away after a bit but then came back, once again making the fish appear to have something in its mouth (babies?) so i watched it closely this time for the next few days to see if it ate when I fed them and it did try but it was not very effective. I am now fairly confident it was not babies and was actually something wrong with the fish. Now it seems to have greyish black spots around its mouth, and I have noticed some others have this same, but without the swelling. Do you know what these marks are? All the other fish except the first with the swelling seem healthy, except some have what appears to be dirt on they're faces. Thats the best way i can describe it, but it is only around theyre immediate mouth area. Any help you could provide would be great. I would try and take a pic but I am afraid the markings will not show with my camera. Thanks, Jim

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:26 pm

Hi jimjim,

Well it is very hard to diagnose fish without actually seeing them, and really without knowing them. But I will say that I have seen fish with discolored patches around the face before, or even on the body. This usually some type of fungus, and it doesn't seem to effect the fish other than the discoloration. Most have been able to get rid of it by just increasing your water changes. As far as the one who seems to have a swollen mouth, I would only be guessing as to what this problem is, and would wonder if it is even related to the discoloration.

The best thing to do is just keep an eye on it, and if this one fish still having problems, you'll have to decide whether to try and treat it, if you can figure out what it is, or euthanize it. You certainly do not want to treat your established tank, with only one fish having a problem.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com