Mold like fungus and no Appetite.

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

lmcichlid

Mold like fungus and no Appetite.

Post by lmcichlid » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:11 pm

Let me start by saying that I have an appoximately 8 year old cichlid who has been pretty healthy up to this point. It all started about two weeks ago when I noticed him swimming on his side from time to time. (possibly scratching himself??) I found this awkward but not alarming since there were no other symptoms at this time.

Soon after though I noticed small white specks on his fins and a larger white spot (which later became sporelike) on his front left side. He has become somewhat disoriented and has not been eating for about a week and a half. When I first noticed the spots I figured he had ICH and treated the tank with Paragon 2 for the recommended period. This has not helped at all. I now noticed that among the specks and spores, it now appears to be affecting his mouth.

I have began treating him with maracyn, raised the tempature in the tank and bought cichlid salt in hopes that this will take care of the problem. He has now gone a couple of weeks without eating so I am really starting to panic. If there is any advice... Please help.[/img]

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:16 pm

Hi Imcichlid,

It is hard to say what the problem might be. It could have been a parasite, but the last part does sound more like a fungus. It is possible that the fish is old and hasn't been able to fight off this outbreak, as it would if it was young and healthy. It sounds like you have correctly medicated. However if the fish is not improving, you'll have to be the one to decide when this fishes quality of life is over, and then euthanize. Sorry it is really hard to diagnose fish with out actually seeing them.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com