White spots/bubbles

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

fallonjp

White spots/bubbles

Post by fallonjp » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:57 pm

I have 3 cichlids in my 30 gallon tank, two are yellow labs. The largest yellow which is about 4" long has recently shown some signs of disease.

I noticed that he had a white spot on one side back towards his tail. I thought maybe he scraped it on something, until later that night I noticed quite a few more closer to his tail. The tail also looked like it was frayed.

I'm not quite sure what to do. DO you have any advice for me before it's too late?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:15 pm

Hey Fallon,

I am sorry to hear your fish is not doing well. It is really hard to dianose fish with out actually seeing them. You'll have to decide whether this is a fungus, or a parsite (ich) and then treat with a medicine that cures with one or the other. Ich usually covers the whole body, but when it first starts it may be on just one part. Freyed tail may be a clue, was it fighting and this is an injury, or is it a disingreation of the slime coat, and it looks like somthing is growing on it.

Regardless of what it may be, it is smart to remove the fish to treat it if at all possible, you don't want to add meds to your established tank unless there is no alternative. Also a water change would be in order.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com