Itching

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

BNebel15

Itching

Post by BNebel15 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:18 am

Hey Pam, quick question. I just did a water change, i my girlfriend said that she noticed the fish swimming around and laying sidewyas on the bottom of the tank rubbing themselves on the rocks, sort of like itching or triyng to get something off of their skin. If you have any idea what this may be and how to treat it it would be appreciated. I currently am feeding them New Life Sprectrum Chichlid Formula, the temp is about 78, and the PH is about 8.1. thanks

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:04 pm

Hi BN,

I believe this glancing, itching is ick. Just keep and eye on them, usually fish can fight this off on their own, especially if you don't see any little white spots. If you do see white spots then you would want to treat with a medicine for ick.

You can also add some salt and turn and the temperature up a little and usually this take care of it. Water temperature changes seem to trigger it, and so make sure the temperature of the water you are adding back is the same as the water left in the tank when you do a water change. Also, that your heater is working properly and your tank is in an area that doesn't get a draft.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com