oscar acting strangely

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

vsnyder

oscar acting strangely

Post by vsnyder » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:03 pm

I have a large Oscar 9about 12" long) we hqave had him for 6 years and all of the sudden he is attacking the bubblers in his tank, he has quit eating, he is frequently opening his mouth very wide ( it almost looks as if he is yawning. he has no kind of sores, or lesions, show no signs of ick or other parasites. He's just plain acting very unusal campared to his behavior the last 6 years.

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:13 pm

Hih Vsnyder,

It is going to be hard to say what might be up. I wouldn't worry about him not eating. I fish this size can go a long time with out food. Diagnosing fish is really tough, and you know your fish better that anyone, and so you will have to do some dectective work to see if you can figure it out. Increased aggression is often from poor water conditions, you don't say how big your tank is or what your maintenance rountiine is. Also, diet is a crictical issue, many oscars do not live a long time, because they are fed the wrong foods.

Take a look at your set up, is it adequate for a fish of this size?? Have you increased your water changes because he has grown over the years. What types of foods have been fed, and are they likely to contribute to the current situation.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com