Demansoni & Bloat & Salt

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Sundae

Demansoni & Bloat & Salt

Post by Sundae » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:00 am

I managed to figure out my favourite fish, its a Demansoni, very beautiful colors. Looks like he has bloat. Very swollen, and retreats above the power head all day in a vertical position facing the gravel or the water, breathing heavily.

I have been feeding them pellets for cichlids made by Sera, and some cheap flakes from a packet, no name brand. Do you think its the cheap flakes that caused that?

This morning one of my fish died, can't really tell you what species, will soon post my digital images. He was all hard, wonder if thats bloat too. All the other fishes are well, displaying beautiful colors and eating well.

I use 2 table spoon (60g) of Aquarium Salt per every 2o litres of water. Is that enough, or not enough. Please advise. :(

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:07 pm

Hi Sundae,

Yes demasoni is very nice, I am sorry to hear you are having a problem. It is really hard to diagnose fish without actually seeing them. When ever you have a fish up in the corners of the tank, something is up. When this happens it is usally because it is being chased up there by someone. Having bloat would not put them up in the corners. However, the stress of being up in the corner could cause bloat.

Usually when things are not right in your tank, you start loosing fish one at a time. I don't know enough about your tank to really make an educated guess. Somtimes it takes some detective work to figure out exactly what happened, and there are times, that you are not able to track it back. It could be the foods you are feeding. In Lake Malawi there are many different diets, and mbuna like demasoni are vegetarians, and if your Sera food has protein in it, that would be a likley suspect. The food from the packet, was probably not enough to be an issue. Another consideration is the size of your tank and the quantity, size and species you are keeping. Wrong size tank, and wrong tankmates are a recipe for trouble.

The first thing to do when you lose a fish is a water change, and it doesn't hurt to even take out a little more water than you normally do. I am not familar with Aquarium Salts. There are two kinds of salt... (1) is salt, that adds salinity to your tank. It could be sea salt, or rock salt. (2)are products that claim to increase your pH or mineral content in your tank, these are often called rift lake salts or african cichlid salts. So you would need to read the label and see what you are adding. Poor water conditions can contribute to aggression, and as well as allowing infections to set if someone is getting beat up. Temps should be about 76 - 78, higher temperature also encourage aggression, shorten their life span and can compromise your water conditions.

Everyones water is different, so there is no black and white recipe to make your water perfect. It is possible that you don't need to add anything to your water, if it tests out okay from your tap.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com