Just stopped eating - Please help

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

johndoe124

Just stopped eating - Please help

Post by johndoe124 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:51 pm

I have been feeding my cichlid twice a day for a year and a half and (s)he stopped eating a couple days ago. I had the water tested (at a local fish store) and they said that the ph is a little low (around 8) and they recommend getting it closer to 9 with a buffer. So i did tro doses of that. The nitrate level is a little high too so the fish store recommended a water change and feeding every other day, which I did. I bought some amqel + which reduces nitrates but I havent used it yet. I went back to the fish store today and they recommended getting some guppies since my fish is very active, but still not eating. I did that but (s)he can hardly see them and they are just hiding at the top of the tank. I dont know what to do, i really dont want to lose my fish. Any thoughts???

Here are some pictures from a few days ago when (s)he was still eating
http://www.monkeywave.com/DesktopDefaul ... /My%20Fish

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:48 pm

Hi John,

I am working on the ID of your fish.

I don't worry about fish not eating unless it has been for many weeks. A fish the size of yours can go a very long time without eating. There are several reasons why your fish is not eating, one could just be that it is not hungry. In the wild they are lucky if they eat every day. I don't know where you are located but because it is the middle of summer, it might be because the temperature has raised up in your tank. Or you could have a problem with your water conditions. The best advice that I can give you is to do a major water change. There is nothing like fresh water for your fish, and then wait a few days more and before offering food.

I do not recommend feeding live fish to other fish, they just don't need this high protein food, when they are not really getting any major excercise in a tank. Feeder gold fish and guppies can be a good way to kill your fish off, because of the diseases they carry. A good staple cichlid pellet is probably the way to go, with treats of earthworms, crikets, people shrimp, etc. But only once in while. Don't let your fish gulit you into feeding them the wrong foods!

Hopefully you just need to get your water conditions back in shape, and remember when you have a fish this big they can pollute your tank pretty fast, so regular and frequent water changes are the key to staying ahead of it.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com