Oscar coated with something?

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Ken

Oscar coated with something?

Post by Ken » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:57 pm

three days ago my oscar who I have had for 4 months now and he is about 5 inches, was really discolored his normal bold black and gold color had gone to a greenish brown coating over him I added some aquarium salt and he seemed to get his color back for a day but now he is half covered again with whatever it is on him. The tank is very clean except I did have a slight increase in ammonia levels but have taken care of that. Can anyone tell me what Im dealing with here and by the way he doesnt act sick he is still very active, and I think he eats too much. The other fish in the tank have to fight to get any food from him. And he's in a 55 gallon tank with a good canister filter that get cleaned every two weeks with a partial water change. :?:

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:20 pm

Hi Ken,

It is really hard to diagnose fish without actually seeing them and knowing all the conditions. I hate to medidcate unless I know exactly what the problem is since if you use the wrong meds, that is sometimes worse than not treating at all.

A couple of things have jumped out, that I would question. You have a 5" oscar in a 55 gal tank with other fish. That is way to small, and because oscars have a large bioload, your tank needs major water changes rather than partial.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com