Please Help

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

gaspo

Please Help

Post by gaspo » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:11 pm

Hello,
I am hoping someone can help me out, I have a small tank with two small Cichlids in it, one I believe is a Kenyi, and the other I am not sure of the name. The tank has now been running for 5 months. Originally I had three small cichlids, the same Kenyi and two small Demansoni (I am probably getting the names all wrong). Over the course of a few weeks the Demansoni both fell ill and passed away, I figured it was because it was a new tank. Now my second fish (not the Kenyi) which has been in the tank for about 2 months appears to have the same illness. It appears to be very weak, it's fins are pulled close to its body and it floats near the top of the tank (vertically) with it's mouth almost gasping for air outside of the tank. There is plenty of oxygen in the tank (via the filter and some air tubing), and I have been feeding them a variety of foods. I have some herbal suplements the fish store gave me a while ago to help boost their immune systems that I have been adding to the water lately. The poor thing is definitely not right, I really don't want it to pass on like the prior two fish that appeared to have the same illnes.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated...I am relatively new to keeping fish so please bear with me.

Andrew

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:36 pm

Hi Andrew,

These types of fish are not meant to be kept in small aquariums. The minimum, and I say bare minimum would be a 55 gallon tank. And that is really too small for demasoni. What happens is when the conditions are not right, or a dominate fish claims all the territory, the fish get stressed out and more or less give up on life. The only way to treat this is to change the conditions. Anytime a fish is up in the corner of the tank is because it has been chased there. I suspect your kenyii is claiming the tank as his.

It is only natural since many of these fish claim a territory that is larger than your tank, they are only doing what they would in the wild, chasing other fish out, and in the wild the fish can swim away, but in our tanks they just get continually nailed, whether it is physical or mental abuse.

You don't say what the size of your tank is, but there are many cichlids that may do fine in it. You just need to re-evaluate your tank size, and do a little research to find out what cichlids will do best.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com