My oscar is sick

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Julie

My oscar is sick

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:13 pm

Hi Pam,
I am a new cichlid owner and fish owner for that matter. My Oscar seems to get sick everytime I feed him a live fish. However I usually treat it (it's usually an internal parsite) and he gets better. This time I've treated it and he's not getting better. He barely eats and he just kind of floats aimlessly. I've also noticed that it looks like his skin around his eye is being eatin' away. I don't want to loose him and my reference book isn't helping me. What can I do.
"Big Guy" is aprox. 3 1/2 inches and we have a 10 gallon tank - is this too small. My husband seems to think that he's ok in it. I don't. Can you help me out?
Thank you
Julie

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:09 pm

Hi Julie,

Its is very hard to diagnose fish without actually seeing them. I hate to medicate fish unless I know exactly what they have, since the wrong medication can be worse then not using the right one.

Usually when skin is peeling there is a breakdown in the slime coat, and this could be some kind of bacteria. I wish I could be more help.

10 gallon tank for an oscar that is 3-1/2 inches is way too small and nearly inhumane. You need a minimum a 55 gallons to keep this fish happy and healthy.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com