Help!

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

spuuuud

Help!

Post by spuuuud » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:19 am

Hi,
We started up a 90 gallon tank for cichlids at the end of September. We had at the height, 14 cichlids and one "red lobster". We started to lose them and have lost 7 in all, but have replaced them since. One was pointing straight up in the water and was full of holes one morning. The rest that have died have seemed to be twitching and lethargic. One who is still hanging in there, has some really sorry looking fins and the others are now chasing him. We have medicated the tank twice. Once for parasite, and when that didn't work, we tried it for fungus. The one who is sick now, was doing much better after the second medication(2 weeks ago), but just got worse today. My husband has had cichlids before, and keeps saying that it's normal for fish to die. I can't help but think that this isn't normal. I don't like to see them sick. Is there any way you can help? We remove 10 gallons a week and replace it. My husband has put salt in and turned up the heat too. We have a Fluval system and are using loose carbon in the filter. The temp. of the tank is 27 degrees celcius and we use Cichlid flakes for food - twice a day. If there is any way you can help, please let us know.

Thanks.
Jane and Mike.
:(

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:19 pm

Hi Jane,

So sorry to hear about your frustration, and you are right, it is not normal to lose your fish in such a short period of time. It is impossible for me to diagnose your problem, since it is really best to see first hand. And I would need much more information to attempt a guess.

One of the biggest issues when it comes to a community tank is what tank mates you pick. I would need to know which species, their size, and how many you have. Generally speaking when people start loosing one fish at a time, it is due to stress, which can be caused by the wrong tank mates, water conditions, diet, etc. Until the cause of the stress is corrected, you can stay in this vicious circle. 10% water changes are not sufficient in my opinion, in your size of tank you should be changing more like 25% - 50%. Diet is also a critical issue, it is good to do reseach and find out what your fish eat in the wild and try to provide the same type of diet. Fish on the wrong diet may do fine for awhile but eventually there is going to be a problem.

It is hard to know what exactly is going on, but usually with the process of elimination, you can figure out what the cause of the problem may be.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com