ID please

Identifying your cichlid

Moderator: Pam Chin

sheila

ID please

Post by sheila » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:22 pm

I've posted this in several places hoping the get a positive ID, it seems they are getting ready to spawn so I'd really like to know their actual name, alot of people have suggested they are some sort of Bujurquina sp., some have suggested vittata or tambopatae. I'm just wondering if you'd agree or if you think they are something totally different. Thanks

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: ID please

Post by Pam Chin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi Shelia,

NIce fish!! I am not an authority of this group of fish, but from what I have been able to determine the following:

Bujurquina vittata - 10-13 cm, on 99% of the pictures I could find, there was no visible spot on the base of the caudal fin, shows more bands/bars, up to 8 - 9, AKA Aequidens portalguensis, a typically common cichlid

Bujurquina tambopatae - 8.2 cm, enlongated spot at base of dorsal, should have 7 bands including the one that is on the gil plate to the tail. I could find only a couple of picutures and a few references for articles, which leads me to believe this if is not in the mainstream of the hobby.

I think you have certainly narrowed it down, size and banding seem to be the only visible signs of differences.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com