melanochromis ID please

Identifying your cichlid

Moderator: Pam Chin

ste1982

melanochromis ID please

Post by ste1982 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:13 pm

ok i recently rescued two fish from a friends tank because he had somehow ended up with a breeding trio of tropheous moorii moliro from a group that was supposed to be all male, anyway, the fish i rescued were being seriously beaten after killing one of the tropheous babies, the problem is we dont know exactly what the fish are, theyre definately melanochromis but i cant find any pics that give a definitive answer, i have narrowed the choice down to three

johannii
vermivorus or
chipokae
im kinda hoping against the last one coz ive read that they are extremely aggressive and will likely kill everything else in the tank that cant defend itself, also i dont know if i have a pair or two males, ive managed to get a pic of each of them, one has yellow along the top of the dorsal fin and on the end of the tail fin with an egg spot on the anal fin so i know that ones a male, the other has no yellow at all and has dug a very large pit under a pice of bogwood wich kinda makes me think might be a female, they tend to stay at opposite ends of the tank unless they feel like chasing each other around the tank a few time, the other occupants of the tank are generally ignored untill feeding time or if they venture too close, i would appreciate any help you can give in identifyling which of the melanochromis i have

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: melanochromis ID please

Post by Pam Chin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:14 pm

ste1982,

It appears that it is more then likely male Melanochromis chipokae. I do believe that Melanochromis is the meanest mbuna out there, they love the chase as much as the kill. They are highly territorial and can dominate a whole tank. So keep an eye on them and their tank mates, so make sure no one is getting singled out.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com