Severum

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Severum

Postby bermudasky » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:47 am

Can you tell if my Gold severum is a male or female from the picture? I've heard that males anal and dorsal fins are more pointed but i've never seen any adults that don't have pointed fins.

2) The LFS sold the other fish to my wife as a Brown Severum. Is there such a thing or is it a Uaru (triangle cichlid).

3) I tried to incorporate two more juvenille Gold severums (kinda pale white at that stage). They were fine for about a week and then !bam! ich everywhere...i shoulda known better. Anyway, after a successful two week course of treatment i thought i was homefree. Two days later one of the young severums was dead. One week later i noticed the other one not eating and doing a lot of open mouth gulping. I removed it to a hospital tank and it died within 5 minutes. I checked all water parameters and everything was within normal tolerances. Did I do something wrong (besides not quarantining) or is it likely the new fish were weak to begin with?

Thanks,

bermudasky

Postby Lisachromis » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:41 pm

It is possible to sex severums. Males will have vermiculations on their face (scribbly lines) and females won't. Sorry I can't see the face well enough on your picture to tell you. The brown fish sure looks like an uaru to me. The deaths of the young severum will show you why it's recommended that you quarantine everything. It's sad when you lose new fish, but it's too hard to say why they died. They may have been weak as you say, they may have succumbed to the treatment, or some other reason may be the cause.
Lisachromis
Administrator

Postby bermudasky » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 am

Thx Lisa,

I'll try to get a close up of Goldie's face. Are there ways of telling sex on the Uaru? It's a premium fish in our local club and would love to try breeding.
bermudasky

Postby Lisachromis » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:02 pm

Well.. there's an interesting thread here on sexing uarus.
Lisachromis
Administrator

Postby Grange » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:15 am

Lisachromis wrote: Males will have vermiculations on their face
…have vermiculations or small red spots… :)

bermudasky wrote:Can you tell if my Gold severum is a male or female from the picture?
Looks like a female, isn't it?
Best regards,
Eugene
Grange

Postby rubyred » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:21 pm

The method described above works great
rubyred

Postby bermudasky » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:09 pm

Well,

To increase my severum experience and to try and get a future mate for my female (thx Lisa) i bought a group of 5 juvenille golds. They have been quarantined and are now settled in to my corner 54G (along with 3 Uaru juvies and a pleco).

They all get along well with just the usual games of chase. Their color is predominantly pink however i notice that two of the severums have darker red anal fins and they also have eight faint vertical black bands.

I've seen the bars before in other species during times of stress and/or breeding but usually only in adults when protecting their eggs/fry.

I've searched the web but haven't seen any reference to these bands anywhere. Just wondering if any severum breeders have seen this.

I've had them for about three weeks and they are approximately 3.5" long now.
bermudasky

Postby Burtle » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:18 pm

I'm about a month late and your severums are possibly an inch or so larger now. You might even notice some of the bands have started to dissapear? The bands are there when they are younger and end up dissapearing as they age. They can make them appear again when they're older deepending how they feel.
Burtle

Postby bermudasky » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:11 pm

Thanks Burtle,

You are indeed right. The severums are bigger (about 4") and the stripes have faded. They tend to come back briefly when there are territorial disputes though.

They now do this humerous "lip-locking" move which seems to be a form of tug-o-war. They'll stay like that minutes at a time. Quite amusing to watch. Doesn't seem to cause any serious damage.

I did recently lose the smallest one and i'm not quite sure what happened. I observed that it was skimming along the top and gulping for air a lot like goldfish do. I've heard that this is usually due to insufficient oxygen in the water but that doesn't seem right as i have a large sponge and a long air wand. None of the other fish had the same symptoms. Parameters were within tolerance levels with PH 6.8, Amonnia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates a little high at 40. I removed the severum to a quarantine tank and added some anti-parasire medicine to no avail. The llittle guy was dead the next morning. This is the third juvenille i've lost this way and it's getting frustrating. I noticed no external signs of parasites (ick) and no fin decay. The only thing unusual was a bit of reddening on the nose. It almost seems like they are unable to clear something in their throat and are choking to death.

Any advise welcome.
bermudasky

Return to South American Cichlids