Keyhole Cichlid Sex Confirmation / Breeding Cycle

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Keyhole Cichlid Sex Confirmation / Breeding Cycle

Postby funkyfredfrog » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello there all you cichlid mad folks!

I'm not too well versed in the cichlid field - my first love in fish has always been catfish - especially plecos but I digress.....

I've recently bought two reasonably mature keyhole cichlids and I'm pretty sure that they are male and female but wanted some independent verification if possible....

See here for a link to my video of them.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcf9Ej2Gmjk

As far as I know this is the first time they've spawned - I've only had them six days so definitely the first time with me - so I was expecting the eggs to be eaten or similar but one or two was infertile and quickly overnight caused a fungus to spread through all the eggs.

How long will the keyholes take to spawn again? I'm pretty confident that I can get them to spawn again but don't know how long it will take....? :)
funkyfredfrog

Re: Keyhole Cichlid Sex Confirmation / Breeding Cycle

Postby funkyfredfrog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:32 am

Hi folks - my Cichlids have spawned again finally but the eggs have gone white almost straight away.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Could someone verify these are a male and female?
funkyfredfrog

Re: Keyhole Cichlid Sex Confirmation / Breeding Cycle

Postby brucethetiedyeman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:36 am

That sounds exactly like what happened to my keyholes. First, are you sure you have a pair? Sometimes 2 females will spawn in the absence of a male (I have even known female convicts to lay eggs when alone in a tank!) If the water is too hard the male's sperm may not be able to penetrate the egg and thus the whole batch is infertile. Or it could be that you have an infertile male. My pair never did produce a viable spawn...and I still don't know why. Usually the eggs never got to the point where you could tell if they were fertile or not, they just ate them. They spawned every 3-4 weeks like clockwork. I hope that your pair are able to produce fry for you. Keep us posted.
brucethetiedyeman

Return to South American Cichlids