The Cichlid Chronicles

by Jonathan "TheFishGuy" Strazinsky

Re: The Cichlid Chronicles

Postby Lotsapetsgarfhts » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:38 am

Well I guess I'll have to come over and see the white Jack Dempsey sometime.
John Chapek
Lotsapetsgarfhts

Postby TheFishGuy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Any time :)
TheFishGuy

Postby Rich Kastor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Except Monday. Oh and Tuesday. Possibly Wednesday is not good. Maybe Thursday. But anytime will work. :lol:
Rich Kastor

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Stop, just stop. You're the one that's always busy. Freak
TheFishGuy

Postby Lotsapetsgarfhts » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:35 pm

PM me your phone number. I do want to see your big tank and talk about those red necked or headed severums, if they are still spawning I would love to have some.
John Chapek
Lotsapetsgarfhts

Postby TheFishGuy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:02 am

We've got some pretty exciting news... Well for us it was. Sat down last nite around 8:30 and was looking at my wifes 240 full of mpimbwae frontosa and noticed what looked like a holding female... I got these fronts at the OCA Extravaganza 09 and they were only about 3/4". Sure enough, not just one but two females were holding! I asked my wife Lora what she wanted to do... She wanted the babies! LOL So after an hour or so of tearing down the tank and filling up six five gallon pails and a 20 gallon storage bin with rock from out of the tank I caught the two females and stripped them. One had four, the other had two. The one with two must have spawned earlier than the other one as they are practically ready for b.a.p. ! LOL

On the front that matters (the non african cichlid front) it looks as though the sajica are at it again, hopefully they won't eat the eggs this time! I also picked up some theraps regani! Very excited about those! They're one of our favorites around here. We had a big male about 7 years ago... It was the only one I could find at the time... Now we've got six one inchers!
TheFishGuy

Postby TheFishGuy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:29 am

Things are looking up in the fish room. The Sajica have eggs and the squatters are finally gone! I love my friends, don't get me wrong, but when you've got their fish in your fish room it's a constant worrie that you're going to kill them!

The used 55 that's been in service for a little while with my show oscar in it sprung a leak last week... So now the little drama queen is sulking in a 29... My wife insisited he was dead laying on his side on the bottom of the tank... :lol:
TheFishGuy

Postby TheFishGuy » Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 am

7 It's been over a month so I figure an up date is due...

The rio choluteca convicts spawned... Funny thing is I had no idea till this morning when I saw free swimmers... and a lone male... LOL 8

2 Lord only knows what else is going on in the fish room as it's probably been a month since I've been in there...

Still have siquia fry at about half an inch, the mpimbwe front fry are doing well and I've got about seven or eight sajica fry still kicking... Seem to have lost the kribensis fry though... 0

Anyone wanna come over and do water changes?
TheFishGuy

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:32 pm

To the three people that follow this blog,

This is the end. I've made the decision to move on to something bigger and better.
95% of everything I have that is fish related (including a lot of fish) will be sold.
If any of you three are interested in anything I have feel free to pm me.

It was a good run.

TFG :)
TheFishGuy

Postby Jombi21 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:26 pm

WHATTT!!!!!!!! Noooooooo
Happiness Has Fins

EMAIL ME!!!! jdietric@mail.bw.edu
Jombi21

Postby markh » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am

Sorry to hear your hanging it up. Good luck with whatever comes next!

Mark H.
Mark Huntington
markh

Postby Lisachromis » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:13 am

Wow, sorry to hear you'll be downsizing so drastically, but if you stay in the hobby at all, please keep the blog going! :)
Lisachromis
Administrator

Postby gnuisance » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Man I'm sorry to hear that you hung it up. What was the next venture?
gnuisance

Postby TheFishGuy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Ok, so it seems the cichlids just won't go away. While I've downsized to a mere 27 tanks I'm keeping some pretty cool cichlids as of late. My neets arrive tomorrow, my sajica are spawning regularly and I've got a couple of wet pets it seems... A male beani about 7" and a 10" female trimac. Those two have made it a pleasure to walk into the fish room in the morning ! Lol. I've got a breeding pair of diadema that will hopefully produce this time... Third time's a charm, I've got a 180 with a handful of 8-13 inch argentea. Young vieja regani and young Chuco intermedium living the good life in the 1200 with the hoplarchus psittacus and four species of geophagus. Also have a group of 8 amphilophus sagittae... Oh and have had a rash of rainbow cichlid spawns... First time in over twenty years... I forgot how much they produce! I guess that'll happen when you have seven adults that formed three pairs! Lol
TheFishGuy

Postby TheFishGuy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:57 pm

My panamensis have spawned
TheFishGuy

Postby TheFishGuy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Just moved six dovii, two breeding pairs of pink convicts, a breeding pair of Firemouths and a beani to the 1200 from a 185.
TheFishGuy

Postby TheFishGuy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Moved 28 rio Jutiapa cutteri to the 185 and 28 green terrors too. Moved a half eaten Cuban cichlid out of a hospital tank into a 20H on top of the entertainment center upstairs. Then attempted to put lids back on some tanks I randomly cleaned and proceeded to shock the living snot out of myself... Seems I forgot to unplug the heater for tank 7. After that, I'm done for the day.
TheFishGuy

Previous

Return to 2866 US Gallons of Cichlid Water. (and counting)