Black Arrow angels

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Black Arrow angels

Postby Sprite » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi

These are being sold in Australia as Black arrow angels.....and are proported to be a line bred species

I suspect they have had cosmetic surgery....

Can anyone provide images of ANY cichlid that has this mutation.....must be parents with fry to prove it's genetic???

or can anyone confirm my suspicions?
Sprite

Re: Black Arrow angels

Postby mikeb210 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:22 am

I would say line breed. I've seen blood parrots with similar features. Personally I hate seeing fish like that sold at all, and I'd make a point not to patronize that fish shop anymore.

mikeb210

Postby Darrell Ullisch » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:09 pm

The Bloody Parrots without tails have been cut, this is known, and equated to clipping the ears of a Doberman to make them stand up (I don't agree with either practice). As for the Angelfish, I suspect the same. And I would first make sure the shop knows this, and let them understand that continuing to sell such fish will damage their reputation. They may not be aware of how the fish are made. Should they continue to sell those fish after being informed, then I would no longer patronize the store, and make sure that their reputation gets damaged.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb
Darrell Ullisch

Postby Sprite » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:27 pm

My personal opinion is any fish sold in numbers....without a tail....have had them surgically removed

I cannot find ANY images on the web of ANY fish (without a tail) surrounded by fry without tails
Lots of verbal claims ....but NO images of very small fry.....only fish over 30mm
Sprite

Postby Lisachromis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11 pm

I've seen this with bloody parrots, being sold as "valentine's" fish. I have seen photos of the process and they cut into the body removing the tail to create the effect.

I'm sure they lose a fair few to fungus and other problems. I don't see the appeal of these at all.
Lisachromis
Administrator

Postby Lisachromis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Look down this page about 1/2 way down - http://parrotcichlid.com/node/15287

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/shaw ... ltytoemax/ (no longer valid). There used to be a really good post there with pics showing the whole process of how they made those heart shaped bloody parrots. They're not my cup of tea, but that's just plain cruelty to me.
Lisachromis
Administrator

Postby Dan Woodland » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Disgusting! Let's just start cutting the trails of of dogs and cats too. Oh wait we already do that too. I can only hope the cosmos is keeping tally on who does this sort of crap and the ledger is reviewed later on...
Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Postby daavidfischer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:15 am

Cool pics man! I built a small tank at my home, and I am only having golden fish in my tanks. The black Arrow angels look so beautiful. How can we distinguish the female and male between these Black Arrow angels? I need to buy two of them.

Return to General Cichlids