Pelvicachromis roloffi "Samba" spawned

Discussion about dwarf cichlids from anywhere

Pelvicachromis roloffi "Samba" spawned

Postby leisure_man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Here is a picture of the proud parents with probably 100+ frys.

leisure_man

Re: Pelvicachromis roloffi "Samba" spawned

Postby Lisachromis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:50 am

Looks pretty good to me! :)
Lisachromis
Administrator

Postby UriB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 pm

gr8 looking fish leisure-man, I find that most if not all Kribs are gr8 parents, my parents go off in different directions and tend to bring half the brood with them, it's quite funny to see this behaviour, they of course come back to their home and are once again a big happy family. Is this the first time they have spawned or do they do this on a regular basis? Is their home a terracotta pot, it sort of looks like a coconut shell!? :lol:
if I were a fish, I'd be a........uhmmmm.........a fish!
UriB

Postby leisure_man » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:49 am

The male has an interesting behavior that I have not seen from other Pelvicachromis. He would spit food into the cave when the female is guarding the wigglers. He typically would do this a couple of days before the fry emerge from it with the female. This behavior was observed during their 2nd spawn as well. Needless to say, the female would just spit the food out of the cave. I also notice the male would enter the cave to check on the wigglers from time to time when the female momentarily left the cave. My WC Pelvicachromis roloffi "Kolente" male is alot more 'handsoff' compare to this "Samba" male even though he would still sit outside the cave to guard the territory.

They spawn on the cave on the left of the picture. The cave on the right is never used for spawning. The 1st spawn size was 167. The second spawn occurred one day after I removed the fry from the 1st spawn. I have yet to count the number of fry from the 2nd spawn. The sex ratio from the 1st spawn is still unknown.
leisure_man

Postby DRE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 am

Nice spawn!
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different
DRE

Return to Dwarf Cichlids