Labrochromis ishmaeli

Discussion about cichlid conservation and captive bred programs

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Labrochromis ishmaeli

Postby sidguppy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:30 am

anybody else besides me who has this fish?
I'm talking of course about the TRUE ishmaeli, not the red-yellow striped fish sold as such...

currently I have 4 males and 2 females. odd numbers, but I only got 7 youngsters, one died a long time ago.
They're supposed to be snaileaters. unfortunately they don't eat burrowing snails, and prefer the fishfood anyway, to snails.
here's a pic of a yawning female

This particular beastie is extinct in the wild, since 1985 or so....hence me posting this in conservation.
Anyone else breeding with Vics that are lost in the wild?
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard
sidguppy

Postby sidguppy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:43 am

I've seen my first female carrying eggs!

finally!
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard
sidguppy

Postby Philippe Burnel » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:49 am

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Postby sidguppy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:30 am

no pics at all there; just a LOT of banners, links and a smiley-riddled forum without a single pic :roll:

However;
Labrochromis ishmaeli male displaying; the female is visible behind the male.

I've seen "nest"building too (it should be called "spawnsite-building; as it's a mouthbrooder and doesn't use a proper nesting area); their activities reminded me a LOT about Tanganyikan Featherfins.....

first the male chooses a spot close to a vertical wall, treeroots or rocks (typical; there is a big open area, but no, they won't use that).
this reminds us of Ophtalmotilapia heterodonta or Cunningtonia longiventralis.

then he clears this area of anything larger than fine sandgrains; creating a wall of small pebbles and gravel around a sandpit; about 6" across (like Enantiopus melanogenys does, but smaller!)

next he makes the sandpit into a 1" high, 5-6" wide samndhill (!!); the whole construction looks like a sandhill srrounded by a ditch surrounded by a low wall of gravel...
This is unique behaviour and I haven't seen anything like it!

The result already is there; about a dozen fly-sized baby ishmaeli's are in a breeder; the mom carried about a month, but she kept her babies with her, while being netted and transferred to a breeder. In that breeder, she released them and that about ended the caring; but she didn't bother even a single fry, despite not eating anything for a month.....

As a last: some males are very good builders, others are downright sloppy or lazy and try to take advance of spawning sites that are already there; of course they get into a load of trouble when being spotted by the builder :roll:
Jean-Luc Picard
sidguppy

Postby Lisachromis » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:23 pm

Sounds like you must be doing something right. :)

I love these sort of behavioural descriptions. Wish more of my fish would wait to spawn when I have time to watch! :roll:
Lisachromis
Administrator

Postby Michael Kwist » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:46 pm

spam ? :shock:
Michael Kwist

Postby Ken Boorman » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:43 pm

Yes it was :( I got rid of it, and him.

Ken
A.N.G.F.A. North American Co-ordinator

Ken Boorman
Administrator

Postby Christophe de Medeiros » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:26 am

Hi some people I know asked to F.Witte from leiden university if lH.ishmaeli was threathenned in the wild. the respons was no, it is abundant in the shallow sandy zones of Victoria lake.
xris :)
Christophe de Medeiros
CichlidRoom Expert

Postby Christophe de Medeiros » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:59 am

I
Hello
I've got a group of them(6), very shy fishes in my aquaria, they''re maintened with H.piceatus and the cohabitation seeems peaceful.
xris :)
Christophe de Medeiros
CichlidRoom Expert

Return to Cichlid Conservation