Ok, this is for all you discus keepers. I'm playing with the idea of trying discus. I'm just in the research stage right now and trying to get as much info as I can in order to make an informed decision as to if I really want to do this or not. The thing that is making me the most hesitant is the common belief that they are very difficult to keep. So since I'm just starting my research I have a few questions and will probably have lots more so any help would be really appreciated. Ok, here goes:
first, I'm planning on using a 55g tank that I have. It already is set up for central americans and has a heater and an AC500. I'm thinking of adding a Rena XP2 or using the AC500 on another tank I have and using just a Rena XP3 on the 55gal. The XP3 is rated for 175g so will that be enough for a 55g tank with discus or will that be overkill?
1. Are they really that difficult to care for?
2. Do you just use water out of the tap or do you try to soften it with peat or some other substance?
3. I'm thinking of going bare bottom with the tank, is this a good idea? I've read it makes keeping things clean a lot easier.
4. How often do you do water changes? I've read some do them weekly while others do them daily. I can handle weekly but if it's daily, I have to admit I don't have the time for that.
5. How many discus do I go with? I've read 6 is a good number for a 55g but I don't want to overstock and I was thinking 4 would be an ok number.
6. I want this to be a species tank but I would like to add some cory cats as a clean up crew because from what I've read, discus are messy eaters. Which cory cats do ok in the higher temps that discus require?
Well that's it for now. Sorry to ask so many questions but I want to make sure I can take care of these guys properly before I get them.