New variant of P. menarambo

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India

New variant of P. menarambo

Postby Alden » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:40 am

It has come to my attention that there is a new form of menarambo called the "red head."

A reputable vendor I know has put them on their list. However, I've never heard of this variant before. Anyone out there heard of it or seen it before? I understand that
p. menarambo is already a very endangered species, so to discover another variant is quite intriguing.
Alden

Re: New variant of P. menarambo

Postby sidguppy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:34 am

I'd be extremely cautious!

if there's a variety in the trade and they would call it "Paretroplus menarambo Lac Whatchamacalla"; I'd know that that would be a certain newly discovered local variety.
any Madagascar name of a locality would do fine in this case.

like for example Paratilapia sp "Small Spot East Coast" wich points at the part of Madagascar where it is found.

or Ptychochromis oligacanthus Nosy Be Lac Bampazava.
wich means it's not just from the island of Nosy Be, but from Lac Bampazava on that island (Nosy Be has many lakes).

but "menarambo redhead' smacks of a created variety, a color form, or worse.
maybe linebred to breed a colored strain, but i don't think so. it's only discovered and imported since about halfway the 90's!

these fish take a long time to reach maturity and without using hormones, it would take decades to linebreed a special color variety.

the menarambo's in our hobby are all F1, F2 and at the most F3.
the older fully grown adults that are still around might still be wildcaughts that have been imported as tiny youngstrers by Patrick de Rham and Jean Claude Nourissat.

other fully grown 10"/25 cm menarambo's are probably still just F1.
these fish can and do reach a respectable age. it would not surprise me if they can reach 20-30 years.

It's far more likely that this is a hybrid; hybrids being all the rage these days

the reason i think it's a hybrid is four-fold:

1; there's a reddish species (wich does have a red head!) in the trade that can be crossbred with menarambo: the very similar Paretroplus maculatus

2; the 3 species of Paretroplus currently bred in Asia (home of many hybrids and horrors like the parrot fish) are manarambo, maculatus and nourissatti.......
currently I own a bunch of asian bred nouri's as well as asian bred canarensis and unfortunately both groups have been tampered with.
the nouri's don't grow at all, but stay at 25mm length, despite anything I try.
the canarensis lack ventral fins or have only stubby ones.

needless to say I will not try any breeding with either group. :(

3; hybrids show what is known as 'hybrid vigor"; the hybrid offspring often grows faster, gets bigger and is more prolific than the parent species.
it's more than likely that a menarambo x maculatus hybrid would grow fast and be tough and also: you can bet it'll be redheaded alright.

4; there have been rumours wich migh be very true that menarambo isn't extinct and that it has been caught in the wild again
HOWEVER
Madagascar has banned ALL exports of live fish for years now........that ban is in force much longer than the quite recent news of the possible rediscovery of Paretroplus menarambo.

I think some entrepeneur has heard the very same (about menarambo not being extinct) and has taken advantage of the fact that manypeople are not aware of the export ban!

the one reason hybrids are made is MONEY.
they grow faster, are easier to keep and often have more colors than regular species.
prime example: the flowerhorn.
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard
sidguppy

Postby Alden » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:27 am

Thank you. That was very informative.
Alden

Postby emartin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:59 am

Madagascar has banned ALL exports of live fish for years now........that ban is in force much longer than the quite recent news of the possible rediscovery of Paretroplus menarambo.

All true. It was rediscovered, I remember seeing it mentioned online somewhere a while ago and when Paul Loiselle was doing a presentation on Dwarf Cichlids at my local aquarium club last Spring I asked him about it and he confirmed it for me, that a very small new population was discovered.
emartin

Return to Madagascar Cichlids