Paretroplus dambabe

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Jim Cumming

Paretroplus dambabe

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:12 am

Paretroplus dambabe (literally 'big damba' in Malagasy) is a critically endangered cichlid in its native Madagascar. I have had this species, off and on for the last six years, trying to get them to the point of reproducing. And this is the closest that they have come. As good as it appears, this pair is very young and it's likely the male hasn't figured out his part in this. So I'm not too hopeful that the eggs are being fertilized very well. But even getting a small hatch would be a first with the dambabe in my world of fishkeeping. As they mature, I know they will get better at it. It's nice to see them decked out in their full breeding regalia.

https://youtu.be/rrqJld-mp9E
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

ikuacara

Re: Paretroplus dambabe

Post by ikuacara » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:10 pm

I wonder how it went. Did any egg hatch?

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Only a few hatched. Hopefully things will go better next time ... if there is a next time. You never know with Madagascan cichids
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

a2ana

Post by a2ana » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Congrats and good luck. In my experience a few years ago, my Dambabe were much better at NOT eating their eggs than my Menarambo. Til this day, I can't get my Menarambo to not eat their eggs and give me time to pull them but no luck. I haven't had any attempts at all this year and I am afraid their are starting to get up there in age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”