New cichlid tank! First timer needs help!

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
FloridaFisher

New cichlid tank! First timer needs help!

Post by FloridaFisher » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Okay, so i am new to the site, and the hobby. Im assuming like every rookie to the hobby, i went and bought some fish and some plants and threw them in a 30 gallon expecting amazing results, wrong! I had done a little research don't get me wrong, but i think ive gone totally wrong. I have a 30 gallon with lava rock and a nice tree decor in the middle, and a few live plants around the tank. I have a HOB filter, my pH is right around 8 or so,. But I dont know what i'm doing wrong, all of my plants are dying, which im going to end up doing a whole separate planted tank because i think cichlids and live plants need totally different conditions. But the problem im having is that the tank water seems like it has a cloudy whitish grey tint to it, and im not sure why. I thought i have done what people call "cycling the tank" which i thought would take care of this. Is there anything i am doing wrong? The cichlids also dont seem like the eat much, i have a variety of different cichlids. I am planning on doing an all lava rock and driftwood hardscape, but as for substrate i at as loss as for now i am using Flor Max. I just want to make sure when i set up the tank again i dont make the same mistakes. I have a water testing kit. Any help would be great

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”