Paretroplas maculatus

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
RyanR

Paretroplas maculatus

Post by RyanR » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:57 am

Hi All,

Received 6 little spotted dambas last week! Any hints or tips keeping these guys? So little information about them on the interwebs. So far, they've kept my eyes glued to the tank for hours and hours!

Thanks!
-Ryan

ciclasoman

Re: Paretroplas maculatus

Post by ciclasoman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Great addition Ryan!!! Paretroplus are relatively undemanding except for ample space as they grow large. This species is very active and curious, they will spend time searching in the substrate so a sandy substrate is good to have. The essential rule with all Malagasy cichlids arises from the lack of defenses against Ich. Even specimens that have had multiple ich infections, will develop diasese albeit less extensively. To avoid this, always quarenten new fish and avoid adding anything that may harbor ich to your Malagasy tank.

RyanR

Post by RyanR » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks!

I had my first ever ich outbreak (minor) in my South American tank. Must have come in with some silver dollars. After treating them, I replaced the UV bulbs on both of my tanks, and set up a spare 75g as a quarantine tank.

-Ryan

a2ana

Post by a2ana » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 pm

Great fishes. Water quality and constant temperature will go a long way. Food variety will help. Try to introduce veg based food. I used to float a leaf of lettuce every now and then. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanR

Post by RyanR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks!

The seem to be enjoying eating duckweed. I've been growing some in another tank to use as a nitrate "buffer" in the main tanks (even though I change the water frequently). I figured the duck weed would also provide some nice top cover. Turns out the maculatus are enjoying it as a snack almost as much as the frozen blood worms I feed them as a treat. :)

-Ryan

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”