Paretroplus nourissati / 'Lamena': A Pleasant Surprise

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Jim Cumming

Paretroplus nourissati / 'Lamena': A Pleasant Surprise

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:25 am

A young pair of Madagascan 'lamena' cichlids have spawned for the first time. They paired up about 3 months ago and have been behaving quite civil to one another over that time. They most likely spawned a couple of days ago. Last week, I was doing some fish collecting in the Florida Panhandle and arrived home late Sunday evening on April 6th. On Monday morning, I noticed one parent attentively guarding a plaque of eggs. I don't know if this is the male or female, but the second parent is keeping its distance. I only hope the eggs are fertile. I'll be pulling the spawn Tuesday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get a hatch.

http://youtu.be/iOgRuLD9bKw
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Re: Paretroplus nourissati / 'Lamena': A Pleasant Surprise

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:19 am

Well, the eggs weren't fertilized and after seven days, are covered with fungus. They were white when laid and remained that way for the week, with no embryonic development seen. Either they are two females, the male is very young and has not yet developed viable sperm, or the male didn't participate in the spawning. Which of these is the case, time will tell. I'm hoping that they will spawn again soon as they are colored up again and spending time together in and around their new pot.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 am

I just want to say I keep my fingers crossed for your success with this magnificent species.
Cheers
Piotr

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:40 am

Thnaks Piotr.
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”