Spring Is In the Air: Paratilapia polleni 'Small Spot'

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Jim Cumming

Spring Is In the Air: Paratilapia polleni 'Small Spot'

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:20 am

There are nine adult polleni in this 180G, comprised of three (1M, 2F) older fish (~4 years) and six (3M, 3F) of their young (18 months). Here are a pair that have been showing signs of spawning for a couple of weeks now. They are becoming very interactive and protective of an area behind a piece of driftwood at the back left corner of the tank.
http://youtu.be/bdWI_Zs90_Q
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

tomr

Re: Spring Is In the Air: Paratilapia polleni 'Small Spot'

Post by tomr » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 am

those are excellent.

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:58 am

Wonderful.

How's your experience with their aggression? Would you say that a tank of around 120 gal. /6ft. long would be appropriate for these and P. kieneri or some Ptychochromis?

(Oh my, I'm asking those silly questions again, but seeing such great footage I can't help but think of getting a next tank :roll: :wink: )
Cheers
Piotr

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:43 pm

tomr wrote:those are excellent.
Piotr Koba wrote:Wonderful.
How's your experience with their aggression? Would you say that a tank of around 120 gal. /6ft. long would be appropriate for these and P. kieneri or some Ptychochromis?
(Oh my, I'm asking those silly questions again, but seeing such great footage I can't help but think of getting a next tank :roll: :wink: )
Thanks fellows. Piotr, your 120G should be fine. I find polleni do best in groups (say, 4-6) and if they're raised together from a small size they work out a pecking order and co-exist fine. I have 10 adults in a 180G and they're fine, never doing damage to one another. I have them in with P. grandidieri (3), menarambo (2), dambabe (1) and three CA cichlids (small, they were tossed in as feeders and survived). Just use a good amount of structure (rocks (not piled), driftwood and artificial plants). I'm not sure that the kieneri would do that well in with them, since the polleni are binge feeders and the kieneri (and most other Paretroplus) and grazers that take their time working the substrate. So the kieneri might get outcompeted for food. On your new possible tank ... GO FOR IT!!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:00 am

Thanks for your input Jim.
A tank full of adult Paratilapia should look just fantabulous. :)
Cheers
Piotr

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”