It's the Gangnam, er, Damba-nam Style! Paretroplus dambabe

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Jim Cumming

It's the Gangnam, er, Damba-nam Style! Paretroplus dambabe

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:55 pm

The Dambas of Madagascar have a unique feeding style when it comes to locating food in the substrate. A vigorous "head waving, in a repetitive back-and-forth motion uncovers and dislodges tiny food particles. Their laterally compressed bodies make for a very efficient "sand fan". They will do this for hours, scouring the bottom for leftovers. All the Paretroplus species that I have do this. Even one month old fry do this naturally if a fine layer of silica sand is provided. Here 's a video of some young Paretroplus dambabe doing this movement - it's fascinating to watch.
http://youtu.be/e3EWsP_CPQk
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Alleycat

Re: It's the Gangnam, er, Damba-nam Style! Paretroplus damba

Post by Alleycat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Amazing! It looks like they're blowing into the sand as they shake their heads in it....

Jim Cumming

Baby Paretroplus menarambo Doing the 'Shake'.

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:31 pm

I've been raising a batch of 'menarambo' (~ 150) in a 25G , bare bottomed tank for the couple of months. A few days ago, I decided to split the fry up, whereupon I moved about half of them to another 25G, this time with silica sand substrate. As expected, these fry, when cleaning up food particles from the bottom do a head shaking movement to kick up the food morsels. It's comical to see these little 1" babies doing what their parents do. In fact, the more scarce the food, the greater the frequency of head shaking. Here's a video of some little ones doin' the shake.
http://youtu.be/xCBkykfXyYI
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”