Paretroplus menarambo Got It Right This Time!

Discussion about cichlids from Madagascar and India
Jim Cumming

Paretroplus menarambo Got It Right This Time!

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:37 pm

A month ago, my Pinstripe Damba spawned on a pile of small stones, passing up what I would consider a better option - a flower pot laying on its side.I figured that I needed to provide them with alternate sites in case they decided to spawn again, so I added some larger rocks and a few pieces of slate. Well, they just spawned again, and this time they chose the pot. I say "got it right this time" only from the selfish standpoint that It will be easier to remove the eggs compared to last time I happened to be down in the fish room earlier today when I noticed them engaged in the spawning act - all grace and beauty. So I grabbed the camera and took some pics. Here are a few shots of the pair.
MVI_7895-007.jpg
MVI_7895-008.jpg
MVI_7895-004.jpg
MVI_7895-006.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Re: Paretroplus menarambo Got It Right This Time!

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 pm

Here's what the complete spawn looks like. I didn't count them but, even though quite a few fell off onto the sand as they were being laid, it looks like 400+ eggs.
Attachments
IMG_7904.JPG
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm

I pulled the pot out with the eggs late last night. Up until that time the parents were incredibly attentive to the spawn. The eggs are hatching as I post this and it looks as if there are a couple of hundred on the bottom. I'm heading for Phoenix next week, at just about the time they'll become free swimming. I'm leaving them for 6 days, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will pull through. My son will be tending to them and they'll be in good hands.
- Albert Einstein

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:44 am

great news and pictures!

Jim Cumming

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Thank you Marko.
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Madagascar Cichlids”