Interested In Joining the OCA? Membership Info is Here!

How to Join the OCA, Benefits of Membership, Questions and Answers

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

Kyle May

Interested In Joining the OCA? Membership Info is Here!

Post by Kyle May » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:13 pm

There are a ton of reasons why you should join the Ohio Cichlid Association.
I'll give you some here:

Obviously if you are on this site selling, buying, and swapping fish, you want your ad to be seen by as many people as
possible. While a great many Ohio Cichlid Association (OCA) members frequent this site, there are a great many members...and others who don't....so here's a way to maximize your efforts.

JOIN THE OCA. It's $15 per year and that's only $1.25 per month.

What's in it for you?

How about this:

1) Access to the entire OCA Membership for starters. You can put a free ad to sell your fish and equipment in the Buckeye Bulletin, our monthly newsletter. This goes out to every OCA member each month. Talk about exposure! Not only will you be able to sell your fish, but you'll see some real deals on fish you just don't see every day...
This one feature alone is worth the price of the entire membership.

2) Every month we have a meeting and you're invited! Members bring fish to the meetings each month and auction them off....plus you can buy the most primo cichlids at the monthly meeting auctions for a fraction of what you can buy them in a store. The truly rare and unusual cichlids get sold between members frequently. And most new members who attend our meetings find that they are a blast! You'll find friendly folks here.....and everyone loves to talk fish!

3) Wanna talk Networking? Many OCA members give...yes GIVE each other cichlids to raise, spawn, etc. I can tell you we're not handing bags of Convicts back and forth (not that we don't love Convicts!) We regularly trade Centrals, Africans, SA's, etc, amongst ourselves. Enantiopis, Petricolas, Featherfins, Rare Cory Cats, Frontosas, Geophagus, Dwarf Cichlids...you name it...all regularly change hands between members. This networking between members is common and a great way to stretch your fish room dollars....

4) Wanna up your game? You'd be surprised at how many species club members have kept and spawned over the years. You can share your cichlid knowledge with all of us and we'll introduce you to species that you've never seen as well as some you've always wondered about. I was an African Cichlid exclusive aquarist until one of our members let me see his breeding group of Vieja's. One look and I was hooked on the big guys! Essentially it's about broadening your horizons and this is the coolest thing about our hobby.....the possibilities are endless.

5) We bring in world class speakers to the meetings each month and not only do you get to hear an interesting talk....but you'll get to talk with these giants of the hobby after the speech one on one! Discus Hans spent an hour explaining a simple way to hook up my fish room to a central system. I had dinner with Lee Newman and Ingo Seidel......met Ad Konings, Juan Migel Artigas Azas...etc......you can't put a price on experiences like these!

6) Are you concerned about cichlid conservation? We are! The OCA's Jim Smith Fund promotes and perpetuates the knowledge and conservation of cichlids. We are currently working on saving Malawi's cichlids from overfishing in their national park habitat! You can help make an immediate impact to help save cichlids by joining the OCA and supporting the Jim Smith Fund.

These are just some of the advantages of membership...there's tons more!

Here's the deal: $15 gets you an email membership good until November 2009.
You want the email membership because you will get the Buckeye Bulletin in full high definition color.Trust me, you're gonna want to start an archive of all the cool fish articles inside. $15 works out to $1.25 per month....that's probably less than a small order of fries.....

Here's a better deal: If you are in school and are under 22, you pay only ten bucks per year! You get all the same advantages of membership, but at a reduced price! Seriously...that's only 83 cents per month! Are you kidding me?!

HOW TO JOIN
Send us your Name, email address, Home mailing address, and phone number.
We'll send you the latest Buckeye Bulletin by return email so you can see right away what's going on
with the club, have the information about our next meeting, and get access to the classifieds so you
can start saving on fish!

We take Paypal at: Paypal@Ohiocichlid.com

OR

Send a check to:

Ohio Cichlid Association
15730 Whitney Rd.
Strongsville, Ohio 44136

OR

Come to one of our meetings. They are the first Friday of every month at:

Old Oak Church
7575 Old Oak Blvd
Middleburg Heights, OH 44130

Meetings start at 8, but you can come anytime after 7:30.
We can get you signed up at the membership table.
We can take cash or check at the meetings.

Got Questions? Call Kyle May - 216-548-5165 - kylemay@live.com
Or
Call Andrew Subotnik - 330-730-3177 - drewluvspeaches@yahoo.com
(The OCA Membership Team)
Last edited by Kyle May on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

Kyle May

Re: Why Join the OCA?

Post by Kyle May » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 pm

If you've got questions about the OCA, please feel free to ask here!

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

highrider

Post by highrider » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:45 pm

How much is a lifetime membership?

fmueller

Post by fmueller » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:21 am

A lifetime membership is not something you can buy, it is the highest award the OCA offers as part of its BAP. Here is the relevant paragraph from the BAP Rules & By-Laws:

"A lifetime membership can be attained by meeting the following criteria: 1000 points, 10 articles published in the bulletin, and a program delivered to the membership at a social meeting."

I've delivered the program, and I could write ten articles without breaking too much of a sweat, but 1000 BAP points means I'll almost certainly never make it - I think I am around 20, and not much development in that area over the last couple of years :?

Greetings

Frank

highrider

Post by highrider » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:22 pm

I had a couple hundred bap points when i was a member.would those be reinstated?

Has anyone recieved the lifetime membership?

Kyle May

Post by Kyle May » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:03 pm

If you are currently not a member, then upon re-joining the club, your points would be restored, unless they were removed for some reason other than inactive membership. Are you a member now?

Personally, I'll never make the 1,000 points, but I think the ten articles are the tough part.

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

highrider

Post by highrider » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 pm

No not a member at this time, I never remember to pay and never got a warning to pay. Now it's winter and i start getting into my tanks more.
Thats the reason it would be easier for me to just buy a lifetime membership, Then i never have to worry about it.
Maybe at the next meeting.

highrider

Post by highrider » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:22 pm

It would take me a lifetime to get to 1000 points, and i really dought i could complete 1 article let alone 10. LOL

fmueller

Post by fmueller » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:34 am

AFAIK there are several people who have OCA lifetime membership. I think Don Danko is one, not sure about Dan Woodland. We should have a list of lifetime members on the web site. I'll bring it up at the next board meeting and see if that information is anywhere available.

Frank

ajsubotnik

Post by ajsubotnik » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:08 pm

I have all that information in my database, so if we want to post that info just let me know and I can get it to you.

-Andrew
What swims in the sea, carries a machine gun, and makes you an offer you can't refuse?

The Codfather

fmueller

Post by fmueller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 am

Andrew - if you have a list of lifetime members, I'd be most grateful for it. Also, if there is anything else in that database that you consider to be of interest to the general public, I'd be happy to put it on the web site as well!

Jshakour

Re: Interested In Joining the OCA? Membership Info is Here!

Post by Jshakour » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:57 pm

I joined on Oct. 3, will I get the Oct. bulletin?

James
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:27 pm

James, Andrew or Kyle, our membership chairs, will get you a bulletin. I'll nudge them to make sure. Welcome aboard, you've made a good decision to join us and you'll enjoy the club. :D

Jshakour

Post by Jshakour » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:42 pm

Kyle,

I got the Sept. Bulletin but not the Oct. one, is it out yet?

-James
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

deeda

Post by deeda » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Are the membership rules and bylaws available anywhere? I can never remember how many bags of fish I'm allowed to bring for the auction at the end of the meeting. Of course there are other rules I'm interested in either seeing online or printing out at home.

BTW, I am a current member of the OCA.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:38 pm

There's a six bag limit for the buck a bag auctions. :)

deeda

Post by deeda » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 pm

OK, I'll ask another question but be more specific.

Is there a copy of the OCA constitution or similar rules and regulations (besides BAP) for Membership available either online or in print that the members can read?
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

steveh28

Post by steveh28 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:25 pm

As far as the original question, at the last board meeting we changed the rule about number of bags for the meeting auction because we have to be out of the church by 11, and the past few months we have not been because the auction has grown so large. The max bags, excluding BAP, is now 5 per member. Don Danko wrote up a bit about it in this month's president's message in the bulletin.

As far as a complete list of rules for members, there really are not many. The BAP rules are on the website, as well as regular auction rules. When we update the website next, the new meeting auction rule will be included.

As far as the constitution is concerned, it mostly controls how the board runs the club, defines the board positions and duties, and provides rules on what the board can use the Jim Smith Fund for.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

deeda

Post by deeda » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:20 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the OCA posted the constitution and other similar info like some of the other clubs do in the general area.

I did see the new rules for Buck-a-bag at 4 per member.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

steveh28

Post by steveh28 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:10 pm

The constitution was just updated last year. I believe it was published in the bulletin for the membership to review and approve at a meeting. I can't remember what month exactly, when I get time I can go back through them and find it.

And yes, the bag limit was changed to 4. I was posting that last reply from my phone and must have hit the wrong button.

Return to “Membership”