Accessing the Bulletins

How to Join the OCA, Benefits of Membership, Questions and Answers

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

deeda

Accessing the Bulletins

Post by deeda » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi all,

I've had some problems accessing a couple of the Bulletins, I'm not sure if it's on my end or not.

The June 2009 Bulletin link shows an error and reverts to the cichlidae forum.

The May 2009 Bulletin link loads but the pages are very, very slow when paging down.

The April 2009 only shows the 1st page and then I get an hourglass while waiting for the next page to come up, which it never does.

Anyone else having problems with these issues?
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

Don Danko
OCA member

Re: Accessing the Bulletins

Post by Don Danko » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 am

Hello Dee,
I just checked all of the links you referred to and I had no issues at all on any of the bulletins: Apr, May, June. It took a second or so for each page to fully load, but that was the worst I saw. Had no issue with the June link either. The bulletin came up no problem. My service is basic cable internet, so the speed is pretty good. Not sure if that helps, but wanted to comment.
Regards,
Don
Tanganyikans, other Cichlids and Catfish

LewC

Post by LewC » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Interesting.

I tried to open the same 3 bulletins and my problems were very similar to Dee's. We'll have to look into it, if we can.

Lew

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:27 am

Dee and Lew,
What kind of internet service do you have, broadband, dial-up? Did you trying downloading and then reading?
Thanks,
Don

ajsubotnik

Post by ajsubotnik » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:27 am

I just tried it and I have no issues at all. If you are have the issue it is most likely and issue on your end. If it was an issue on the server side then everyone would be having the problem. Here are two possible solutions:

1.) Clear your cookies and retry (go to tools, then to internet options, look for browsing history and click delete). You should be doing this on a fairly regular basis anyway, if not, you should start! you would be supprised at how many glitches and quirks this can fix.
2.) If that doesnt work, check to be sure you are running the most current version of Adboe Reader. If you are not using the most curent version you can download it for free at http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Hopfully this helps!
What swims in the sea, carries a machine gun, and makes you an offer you can't refuse?

The Codfather

LewC

Post by LewC » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 am

Drew, we have DSL, and we delete the browsing history frequently. I'm not sure of our Adobe version, but I update it whenever a new version is offered.

One of the interesting things is that other issues of the bulletin open easily and completely, but the 3 mentioned by Dee do not, so if the problem is on our end, why doesn't it affect all the bulletins? I haven't tried all of them, so I don't know if there are any others that give me problems.

Thanks for looking into this!

Lew

zakdmb

Post by zakdmb » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:46 am

I too am having problems with these 3 bulletins. The June 2009 says that there is an error and that the page is not found on cichlidae.com, the other 2 just dont load properly. Didnt checkk all, but i dont seem to have the problems with other bulletins.

deeda

Post by deeda » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Don & Drew,

Thanks for the replies. I'm using Broadband (Road Runner) for my Internet connection and delete my browsing history, cookies, etc daily.

I've got Adobe X and it's up to date.

Here is the page I get when clicking on the June 2009 Bullertin - http://www.cichlidae.com/error.php

I've just tried accessing those 3 issues again and have the same problems.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:52 am

Dee,

I just sent a note to the site administrator to see what he says about the cause of this link. Will let you know when he comes back to me. Seems you are not logged into the Cichlidae site, but I don't know if that is possible when you are clearly on the OCA Forum....

We just resolved an issue that John Kaminski had that was caused by Pop Up Blocking. Your situation sounds different though, but couldn't hurt to try turning off while we are waiting for a reply from Cichlidae's admin. You may want to check on this possibility.

Thanks for your patience,
Don

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:52 am

Dee, is it just these three issues or all of them? Do some work? This may be important in troubleshooting the issue.
Regards,
Don

deeda

Post by deeda » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:26 am

Don, I get the same June 2009 error whether pop-up blocker is on or off.

I can view all the Bulletin PDF's with no problems except for the April, May, and June 2009 issues. June issue gives me the error 'not found' and the April and May issue PDF's are extremely slow to load and only show the cover page of the Bulletin.

Thanks to all for help with these issues.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Dee,
What about older issues? Are there any that work well for you? The site admin came back with a thought that the link may have an issue on some browsers so I thought I would ask if any work for you? Also, what browser and version are you using for your internet access?
Thanks,
Don

deeda

Post by deeda » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:51 pm

deeda wrote:Don,
I can view all the Bulletin PDF's with no problems except for the April, May, and June 2009 issues. June issue gives me the error 'not found' and the April and May issue PDF's are extremely slow to load and only show the cover page of the Bulletin.
I can open and read all the Bulletins that are NOT listed above.

I'm using Internet Explorer Version 8.0.6001.18702
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:13 am

Dee,
Thanks for restating you can read the older ones. Andrew is checking out file naming differences, etc. Will advise what he finds.
Thanks,
Don

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:23 pm

I can read any bulletin... I'm using FireFox 5.0.

I do not have a popup blocker or spam protector enabled.

Hope that helps.

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:53 am

Dee,
I got an answer back from the site admin - see below. Not sure if this helps, as he does not see a problem with file naming and everything opens with several browsers. He has a suggestion on checking browser settings for pdf, but not sure that will help since the old bulletins open for you.
Regards,
Don

Don,

Sorry, I just checked the naming for april, may and June 2011 issues and it is correct. I could also open the June 2011 issue using Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 9, Safari 5 and Chrome 10 without problem. What browser/version are they using? please advise them to use the last version of their browser and verify they have not blocked PDF files in the security settings.

Also, please ask them if they are using any sort of file handler to download and view the file.

Juan Miguel Artigas Azas
Editor
The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.com

deeda

Post by deeda » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:31 am

Don,

Thanks again for the help. Kyle sent me the April 2009 (I got an error processing a page and problem reading this document (107), so I could not view the Bullertin),

And the May 2009 Bullertin which was slow loading but I was able to read the entire Bulletin.

In response to Juan's questions, I am using Internet Explorer (Version 8.0); Adobe Reader X; Microsoft Windows XP Home edition, Version 5.1 with SP3. I do not know what a file handler is, so can't answer that question.

BTW, Juan referenced the 2011 Bulletins for April, May and June, I can read those just fine. I cannot read the April 2009 and June 2009 Bullertins.

Thanks,
Dee
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

Don Danko
OCA member

Post by Don Danko » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:36 am

Dee, Dan,
I went back and checked the 09 Bullertins in the range mentioned again and I did get an Cichlidae error page on the June 09 page with IE 8. I'll reach out to Juanmi once again. Glad to hear Kyle sent one of them to you.
Regards,
Don

Return to “Membership”