North America

By Alex Calder

North America

Postby Alex Calder » Sat May 03, 2008 12:01 pm

All of the work being done on breaking down his continent into regions is being done by one of my more knowledgeable moderators (Rex Karr) so I can take no credit for his work. My job in assisting him has been to get him more detailed maps that are in public domain. My other job is to try and get him feedback unfortunately the rest of my people involved in the project are likely feeling a little out of their league with this one. If you can provide any information or critiques I will make sure to pass them on.

Here is what Rex had to say:
As you can see one of the primary boundries is the mountain range that divides the pacific side from the atlantic side. Only a few species are found on both slopes and this makes it an obvious choice. The area where 4 regions meet in south Mexico is based on drainage basins that provides natural barriers.

There are several changes to be made though. A portion of texas needs to be included with the Atlantic slope of North Mexico. Panama's division is most likely temporary until I can find more accurate maps and cichlid distribution information. A map containing all of Panama's rivers and labeled is something I have not found.

On the pacific slope, I included the Honduras with Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama, although I actually feel like the boundry should be a river (possibly Rio Choluteca.) Likewise on the atlantic side I have the boundary set between Honduras and Nicaragua while in my opinion this might be improved upon if it can be set on river basin.

The attached map is his rough draft, if there is any trouble viewing it let me know.
Attachments
centralamerica2.jpg
Alex Calder

Re: North America

Postby Alex Calder » Tue May 06, 2008 1:34 pm

Latest update:
Alex Calder

Return to Cichlidbase