flaveolus and company

By Willem Heijns
Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

flaveolus and company

Post by Willem Heijns » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:59 am

Now that the 600g is repaired (it is, really) I'll start a new topic on its inhabitants. They are:

2 males and 4 females of Amphilophus flaveolus (the Apoyo amarillo)
a group of 5 Petenia splendida (supposedly from Río Lacanjá, México)
a wild pair of 'Heros' sieboldii (from Río Gariche, Panamá).
Later additions will include 'Heros' beani and Parachromis friedrichsthalii (La Ceiba variant).

The flaveolus settled in nicely, one male becoming dominant over the other and starting to court the females. Petenia splendida are still juveniles (4"size). But Murphy has decided to go for the sieboldii. The male (6") is showing signs of the same disease that killed all my wesseli. But in a 600g it is impossible to catch a 6" fish without tearing the whole thing down. And I am not prepared to do that (yet again). Fingers crossed, I guess....
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Ken Grimmett

Re: flaveolus and company

Post by Ken Grimmett » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:08 am

Willem,

FYI
I just found his site, it lists alot of papers on fish diease and treatment.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_wild_fish
Also, check your silicone tube package. Some sealents have a mold inhibitor that you have to read the fine print to see. This is toxic to the fish.
The future is what you plan for, life is what you get, enjoy it.

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Believe it or not, there is also some good news. Just now I found that a flaveolus pair has spawned in one of the caves. 8)
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Ken Grimmett

Post by Ken Grimmett » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Cool...
The future is what you plan for, life is what you get, enjoy it.

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:07 am

And more good news! :o :o :? 8) :lol:

After not having seen the sieboldii male for two weeks, he turned up again yesterday. And guess what: his wound has almost healed. All by itself. No medicine from me. His mate is so glad she's showing breeding colours all the time. And he is about to respond to that.

Too bad the flaveolus didn't succeed with their first spawn. About 300 were freeswimming but now they have all gone and the female is fighting with another female that is trying to take her place. Almost like in the wild! :D 8)
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:57 am

It finally happened! After having completely recovered from the supposedly lethal disease the sieboldii male is now father to maybe a hundred tiny fry. His breeding colours are the same as those of the female (a sooty black dorsal side and a white belly (except for the chin which is also black), really a sight to behold!
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:58 am

Trouble brewing.....? 8)

With the sieboldii pair somewhere in the middle of the tank, both left and right corners of it are now home to a batch of flaveolus fry. The sieboldii female travels far to chase them (and Petenia for that matter) off, but as her school of youngsters gets more widely spread I don't think she'll manage in the end. Or will she?
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Parental care in sieboldii is much stronger than I expected. After four weeks the pair still have their fry swimming about without too many losses. They have even grown to a size of .5 to .75 inch.

One of the flaveolus pairs have lost their brood and are hiding. The second pair still has some, but I don't think they will last much longer. Petenia is very hungry.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Six weeks since freeswimming and the sieboldii pair have hardly lost one youngster. They have grown to over an inch. I would say they are independent. :D

But how am I ever going to get them out of there? :? :(
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 pm

That'll teach you to have large tanks! :lol: :lol: just kidding... I'm jealous.

Maybe you need to look into some fish traps?

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Lisachromis wrote:Maybe you need to look into some fish traps?
Best are made from 1,5Ltr. PET bottles 8)
Cheers
Piotr

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 am

I've had some experience with fishtraps in the past. Problem is many cichlids are too smart. They either don't enter the trap or they find the exit in no time. Clever devils... :shock:
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 am

I always use the same traps as TK421 (in topic you shown). Even adult Apistos (very clever fish) were easy to catch using this. Hope it helps.
Cheers
Piotr

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:38 pm

The sieboldii pair seem to have reached the end of their brood cycle. Just now I noticed them paying more attention to each other than to their progeny. They have started courting and are preparing a site for the next spawn. The young are staying close to their parents and are thus still enjoying their protection, albeit this protection is more aimed at the site than at the fry. I wonder how long it will take Petenia to find out about this......
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:02 pm

I have a young pair of Sieboldii that have just spawned. It was interesting how the female took on the spawning colors much sooner than the male. I have to say their breeding colors are much more striking "in person " than photographs. I am enjoying watching this pair interact with the other cichlids in the tank.

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:22 am

A change of plans. The sieboldii pair have decided not to start a new brood just yet. So the male is hiding behind the rocks and the female is still (weakly) defending the leftover fry, which have grown to well over an inch. These fry are not staying together anymore; I see them pop up all over the tank.

This would mean a good chanche for Petenia it seems. Not the case, for two reasons:

1. the fry are really independent and quick to hide when Petenia approaches
2. two new batches of flaveolus fry have appeared, one on either side of the tank.

Petenia are busy watching those newborns. As flaveolus doesn't have a parental care half as good as sieboldii, I suspect these fry to have disappeared by next week.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:44 pm

The fantastic broodcare of sieboldii apparently has a downside. Two days ago the male disappeared behind the rocks, leaving his offspring to the female and only showing his face every once in a while. This afternoon he showed himself completely.... and completely dead. No external damage, no injuries, just dead. :(
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

aquaticwonders

Post by aquaticwonders » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Just lost my male Sieboldii, the same way. He started hiding around the rear of the tank and became lethargic. I removed him and noticed he was bleedin from his anus. He ied a few hours later in the quaranteen tank :(

On a brighter note, i have acquired one of the Flaveolus pairs that you brought over to the UK for the EACG auction. I think they will spawn very soon. :)

Wayne

aquaticwonders

Post by aquaticwonders » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:12 pm

aquaticwonders wrote:
On a brighter note, i have acquired one of the Flaveolus pairs that you brought over to the UK for the EACG auction. I think they will spawn very soon. :)

Wayne
Flaveolus spawned today!! :)

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 pm

The sieboldii youngsters are doing fine. Without the care of their parents they are now forced to live in nooks and crannies to avoid predation by Petenia splendida. Those five fish-eaters are growing rapidly, but not on sieboldii. On my daily feeding round today I noticed at least seven sieboldii at the same time. I assume there are some 15 of them left.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Return to “Cichlidarium”