the majestic Parachromis dovii

By Willem Heijns
MatsP

Post by MatsP » Tue May 16, 2006 6:17 am

Slate is a stone material that is essentially compressed mud. It forms layers that can easily be separated, and it's normally inert (i.e. doesn't contain anything that dissolves in water).

It's a popular stone material for aquarium decorations because it's so easy to make flat pieces (just split a ticker piece into several thinner pieces).

--
Mats

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue May 16, 2006 11:21 pm

Wow Willem,
Great Dovi, I am sure its a lot of fun and pleaser to sit after couple Bacardi shots in front of your tank and watch all these battles, I jelous :)
Alex

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:43 am

back from bonnie Scotland. my second hobby will be put back into perspective yet again :cry:

upon return this week I found the dovii male didn't make it. it must have been killed shortly after I left with certain consequences on the way the fish looked en smelled when I took it out of the tank. thank heavens for warm wheather (open the door and let some fresh air in :roll: )

now the situation has become interesting. the amarillo pair is under less stress (and looking much better!) having the left side of the tank for themselves. the widowed dovii is tolerated. the right dovii pair has another batch of fry (± 1.000). no more foster parents though :wink:
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:06 pm

I was wrong! there still is fostering going on. half of the fry have crossed the tank again and are under the care of the widowed dovii. the male, seeing many of his children desert him, has decided to practice harembreeding to compensate for his loss. he now devides his time between the two females, defending their territories and "their" young.

they keep surprising me 8)
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:04 am

this week the dovii male spawned with the widow. about 50 fry of his other partner witnessed the event 8)

the males still spends half of his time with either female, keeping the amarillo pair on the alert.

the fry are no longer defended by their mother (no need to). the male has already started to court her. I wonder what will happen if he produces another spawn. :roll:
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:17 am

another 1,000 dovii fry 8)

the male tends to stay with the widow more often and for longer periods of time. still he courts his wife. maybe he will spawn with her soon too. then I'll have two schools of fry. they will probably mix soon enough :wink: then I'll have a real community tank. :lol: :lol:
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:31 pm

an interesting development.

about a hundred fry are left with the widow. they are no longer defended and travel around the tank. the male is courting his own wife again, but occasionally visits the widow.

the widow seems to be giving up her territory. the amarillo pair is now free to take possession of it. and thus an interesting situation arises because the amarillo (now in the left corner of the tank) no longer forms a natural barrier between the two dovii territories. the widow is likely to become homeless. the other dovii female senses that and goes ever closer to the area where she couldn't go before. this is bound to go wrong....
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:34 pm

the widow indeed is homeless. she starts to wonder more and more into the territory of the dovii pair. today I saw the first frontal threats of the two competing females. the male doesn't seem to know what to do. spawning of the pair is close...

in the meantime the amarillo pair is trying to get used to it's newly won space. they court in the left corner of the tank, but whenever they quarrel the female needs to be able to retreat in her cave (their old territory) where the male cannot follow her. I think it's wise to keep it that way :wink:
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:26 pm

a new balance seems to be established. today the dovii male spawned with his wife. in the act he wouldn't allow his children (the ones he has with the widow) to watch. instead he chased them to the other side of the tank, to their mother. there's 70 of them, almost 1" in size.

the widow is back in the corner again. the amarillo pair decided to stick to their original cave. stupid, because the male will never be able to fertilize any eggs inside it.

all and all, five fishes in a 600g tank is rather spaceous. as a consequence all fish look perfect (no scratches, no torn up fins). I am tempted to call it peaceful. how long will it last??
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:15 pm

it took him less than a day! the dovii male is courting the widow again right after he became the father of another 1000 eggs.

the widow simply reappeared from her hiding place in the left corner and took position in the middle of the tank, past the amarillo pair. the male approaches her and circles her as if he tries to seduce her. and then his wife turns up to order him to come home to the eggs. he does follow her but I can see him hesitate. there's adultry for you!

PS: mind you, this is a FISH-story :P
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:57 am

the dovii male is more true to his spouse than I expected. after the initial escapades to the widow he has stopped his attempts at adultry once the fry became freeswimming. there's peace in the tank now.

the widow still has about 50 of her fry. they are slightly over the 1" size. and very agile. I suspect they can escape any attack by their parents or their aunt. they don't even bother about the amarillo and pass unharmed through their territory whenever they want. I wonder when they will start to go after their little cousins. 8)
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:48 am

new developments, finally :lol:
after many weeks without any change, the amarillo pair has finally spawned in the left corner of the tank, the former territory of the widow. the widow has moved slightly to the right and tries to impress the dovii male and seduce him to another spawn. about 15 fry of their last attempt are still present (1.5-2"). these are a threat for the amarillo spawn. I hope the parents will be successful with the defense of their progeny.

anyone interested in amarillo fry?
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:29 am

an orgy! 8) :lol: :shock:
the two females are both ready for a new spawn. so they court the male, simultaneously. he really doesn't know what to do or whom to choose. so he swims like crazy from the one to the other, shaking, shivering and threatening at the same time. an impressive sight! to see a fish like Parachromis dovii in all it's power. and swimming at really high speeds. too bad my broken leg prevents me from shooting video :cry: :evil:

I wonder what will happen if they spawn at about the same time. two clutches of eggs, two pits full of larvae, two schools of 1,000 fry.......
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:54 am

Willem Heijns wrote:too bad my broken leg prevents me from shooting video :cry:
Uhoh.... Well, hope you feel better soon. What did you do? (or is it too embarassing? LOL) :)

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:26 pm

it was nothing really. 8) go to the (rocky) beach, make a phonecall while walking about, slip and get your foot stuck between the rocks. takes a split second and keeps you busy for months! :roll:
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

chc

Post by chc » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:06 am

Willem Heijns wrote:it was nothing really. 8) go to the (rocky) beach, make a phonecall while walking about, slip and get your foot stuck between the rocks. takes a split second and keeps you busy for months! :roll:
OOPS! Get back on your feet some...... and take some videos! :D

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:28 pm

the widow has won :D :D this afternoon she laid eggs in a cave next to the old amarillo cave.
I wonder what will become of mister dovii's marriage. his wife patiently waits, but he visits her only sparsely. but I'm sure he'll be attracted by her soon.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:13 pm

soon? soon? it took him only two days. just one hour ago he spawned with his wife. so now there are two dovii spawns only two days apart. this is sure going to cause trouble. all through the breeding stages the male will have to switch between the wife and the widow. I'm worried already about the moment both schools will start freeswimming. and I'm sorry for the amarillo pair. they will be under a lot of pressure from the dovii trio.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:58 pm

and pressure there was. this weekend I managed to get help with catching the amarillo pair. they are safe now.

all that is left now in this huge tank is a trio Parachromis dovii. I wonder what will happen next.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

dstuer

Post by dstuer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:17 pm

Hey Willem,
I know this is off the track , but wanted to say, love your DVD, great camera, narration, and music worked great too! Thanks much

Return to “Cichlidarium”