55 gallon species only stock options (with current scape)

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

atp_08

55 gallon species only stock options (with current scape)

Postby atp_08 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Okay well my 55 gallon is currently cycling and the original stock list is 4 juliochromis, 4 caudopunctuts, and 8-12 paracyps or cyps.

But the wheels got turning and I think a species only tank would look cool. 
So I'll looking got options I'm assuming with my current scape only cave dwellers would work. So are there any that essentially form a small colony? I'd like to have more than 2 pairs. In think 10-15 juliochromis gombes would look amazing, but I'm not sure that would work.

So are there any options? Thanks

[IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/Alex_Poland/20170308_185516_zpsnwkeb0l1.jpg[/IMG]

dswells

Re: 55 gallon species only stock options (with current scape)

Postby dswells » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Hey Alex,

You have many options. Julies are certainly one, but there won't be a great deal of color contrast between them and your scape (e.g., rock and sand colors). Your best bet there are probably some ornatus, which tend to have more yellow than other Julies. If you like shellies, some L. ocellatus would be interesting (males are quite colorful), but you might want to give them more floor space for shells. Your current set up is great for Julies, though. If by Gombe you're referring to marlieri, I believe they tend to get larger than other Julie species - approaching 5" plus.

Regards,

Scott

atp_08

Postby atp_08 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello I actually have another tank that is set up for shellies.

If I went with ornatus, how many would I get.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dswells

Postby dswells » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:45 am

Ornatus are one of the dwarf species of Julies, so you can technically fit more of them than most other species. However, I've never kept them. I once kept four or five adult transcriptus, which are about the same size as ornatus, in a 40g breeder without any problems. They bred regularly and I even had some shellies in that tank also. So you could use that as a guide.

Reach out to Pam Chin. She's an expert on Julies, and I'm sure would be happy to help with your questions - http://www.cichlidae.com/askpam. Good luck!

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”