Undescribed Equadorian cichlid?

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Cichlid-Power

Re: Undescribed Equadorian cichlid?

Post by Cichlid-Power » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 am

Dear all, first of all, I would be agree with Morgenstern, I did collect the fish from Esmeraldas and north to San Lorenzo on the west coast in 2008.
The photo is taken by a friend of mine in Ecuador. His name is Rafael Ramos. First time he sent me the photo I thougth it was manipulate. But he said no. And hopefully I will be able to collect the fish alive, and see it in my aquarium. Even not SO strong in the color, it's still nice.

Alf Stalsberg
Cichlid-Power

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Alf

Can you give us any updates on your plans to collect this species?

Microman

Post by Microman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:59 pm

I think Alfs in Equador at the moment....
Mark...

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Good to know. Hopefully, he will be willing to share his collecting results here?

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:22 pm

This old CRC thread was recently brought to my attention by a fellow cichlid hobbyist I've connected with through Facebook. It's remarkable that it hadn't been "resurrected" earlier when we were discussing the fish being circulated in the hobby as Mesoheros ornatus (or ex-Cichalsoma ornatum) which proved to be Mesoherous gephyrus.

It appears that the fish in the photograph Mark posted is indeed Mesoheros ornatus. It bears a strong resemblance to:

1. The mature specimen photographed by Pedro Jiménez Prado in the profile of "Cichlasoma ornatum" in Guia de peces para aguas continentales en la vertiente occidental del Ecuador (https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... el_Ecuador).
Mesoheros ornatus in Guia de peces para aguas continentales en la vertiente occidental del Ecuador.png
2. The small photograph of M. ornatus in the cladogram in Phylogeny and historical biogeography of trans-Andean cichlid fishes (http://www.senckenberg.de/files/content ... 33-350.pdf) published in the journal Vertebrate Zoology in 2015.
Mesoheros ornatus in Phylogeny and historical biogeography of trans-Andean cichlid fishes.png
Mesoheros ornatus in Phylogeny and historical biogeography of trans-Andean cichlid fishes.png (154.51 KiB) Viewed 164 times
Please also refer to another CRC thread for a discussion about these two publications: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18446

Extrapolating from what we know of sexual dimorphism in Mesoheros festae, I would guess the photo of the "undescribed Equadorian cichlid" is a male as is photo 1 above, while photo 2 is a female.

What do folks think?

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:36 am

I agree with you completely. Unfortunately, old habits die hard, and some newbie hobbyists still want to call the M. geyphyrum being imported incorrectly as M. ornatum.

Return to “South American Cichlids”